Planing Competition in Japan - Insane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The guy with the spear was pretty incredible as well. That wood they were using must’ve been so uniform in consistency, The shavings reminded me of pasta for some reason.

The guy with the spear was pretty incredible as well. That wood they were using must’ve been so uniform in consistency, The shavings reminded me of pasta for some reason.
I agree. To me, they looked like wooden auger bits!

Of course the problem with all that is it is not how flat or true the board is after but how thin the shaving. 🤔Reckon I would still get a better cabinet with a #5 than one of their planes :whistle:

I agree. To me, they looked like wooden auger bits!

They were works of art in their own right. I'd grab a handful and arrange them on something, or hang them off a string. Dip them oil. Would dipping them in thin PVA preserve them for longer?

They were works of art in their own right. I'd grab a handful and arrange them on something, or hang them off a string. Dip them oil. Would dipping them in thin PVA preserve them for longer?
if you want to make some, you can cheat by making a "Spill Plane", which were common when we hadn't invented the friction match. used to make spills for lighting pipes and candles etc

Yes it’s judging the waste rather than the product.
Hard to judge a piece of wood that's had a 5 microns shaving removed.

Trying to imagine the safety equipment you'd need before your employer let you stand on a log, chopping towards your feet with a super sharp axe. Wonder if he had all his toes :unsure:

Back