Planing bowed boards on PT

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Suffolkboy":3q0hxcdm said:
Given the prominence of planers and the longevity of their use in both the professional and hobby arena I would suggest that there is probably a really good reason the practice of putting loose weights onto your planing stock hasn't taken hold and become standard practice.

That reason is probably why the suggestion has caused such argument among the professional and well respected wood working members on this forum also.

It may seem like a good idea but it is potentially dangerous. If it were me I'd take that as a hint that the idea I thought was groundbreaking may well not be and in fact perhaps I should stop doing it, or certainly stop advocating it.
What, in your view, would be the good reason? In HSE terms what actual hazard and or risk?

It's posts like this that really denigrate this forum (along with the occasional grumpiness and negativity).
As a woodworking learner I come to this site to be educated by accessing the wealth of knowledge and experience that is offered by the members and I have gained a lot in the last 2 years.
Recently I have been machine planing some particularly curly boards and that involves a lot of physical effort (pushing, lifting and carrying back) which wasn't great for my back and, if I had to also deal with a lump of metal on top then the potential for a mishap is increased.
In my opinion, this level of trolling should not be acceptable on this forum. It advocates a potentially dangerous practice and the mods should step in.

Steliz":2af8p93y said:
It's posts like this that really denigrate this forum (along with the occasional grumpiness and negativity).
As a woodworking learner I come to this site to be educated by accessing the wealth of knowledge and experience that is offered by the members and I have gained a lot in the last 2 years.
Recently I have been machine planing some particularly curly boards and that involves a lot of physical effort (pushing, lifting and carrying back) which wasn't great for my back and, if I had to also deal with a lump of metal on top then the potential for a mishap is increased.
In my opinion, this level of trolling should not be acceptable on this forum. It advocates a potentially dangerous practice and the mods should step in.

=D>
Best just to ignore him, he has after all " been at it for years". Just what he's been at we can all decide for ourselves. :wink:
There was a reason the last thread was removed and the main perpetrator has come back out of his post election sulk for a second go.

For the record, I won't be placing heavy weights on my planer any time soon.

Jacob":2z2cqy2a said:
Suffolkboy":2z2cqy2a said:
Given the prominence of planers and the longevity of their use in both the professional and hobby arena I would suggest that there is probably a really good reason the practice of putting loose weights onto your planing stock hasn't taken hold and become standard practice.

That reason is probably why the suggestion has caused such argument among the professional and well respected wood working members on this forum also.

It may seem like a good idea but it is potentially dangerous. If it were me I'd take that as a hint that the idea I thought was groundbreaking may well not be and in fact perhaps I should stop doing it, or certainly stop advocating it.
What, in your view, would be the good reason? In HSE terms what actual hazard and or risk?

In my view the reason that it isn't standard practice to place loose weights on pieces of wood you are passing over a planer is that it's a daft idea that is potentially more risky than it is beneficial.

Steliz":2h39e7pe said:
..... It advocates a potentially dangerous practice and the mods should step in.
What I advocate is HSE regulations; where something is not prescribed then make your own assessment of the hazard and the risk. See post above. i.e. don't do it if you think you shouldn't.
I am merely discussing it and giving an account of my experience so far. If it proves hazardous I will be the first to let you know!
There are endless posts and videos showing dangerous practices; hand feeding machines, inadequate guarding, etc. I think they are often appalling. I'm a big advocate of safety, even above and beyond HSE standards.

Suffolkboy":22bkg5fh said:
Jacob":22bkg5fh said:
Suffolkboy":22bkg5fh said:

In my view the reason that it isn't standard practice to place loose weights on pieces of wood you are passing over a planer is that it's a daft idea that is potentially more risky than it is beneficial.
OK, fair enough, I advocate that you don't do it. Rest easy!

Jacob":1ktjvr0o said:
Suffolkboy":1ktjvr0o said:

Yebbut you're effectively encouraging any newbie or inexperienced user to do it. :roll:

Jacob":1yckc75m said:
Steliz":1yckc75m said:
..... It advocates a potentially dangerous practice and the mods should step in.
What I advocate is HSE regulations; where something is not prescribed then make your own assessment of the hazard and the risk. See post above. i.e. don't do it if you think you shouldn't.
I am merely discussing it and giving an account of my experience so far. If it proves hazardous I will be the first to let you know!
There are endless posts and videos showing dangerous practices; hand feeding machines, inadequate guarding, etc. I think they are often appalling. I'm a big advocate of safety, even above and beyond HSE standards.
All I ask is that you have a video camera running - it would be great to add you to the Best of 2019 Celebrity Woodworking Fails. Here's the current finalist, but you could beat this master craftsman hands down:
hold-my-beer-and-watch-this-how-all-good-stories-begin-212.gif

Lons":2wavnpce said:
Jacob":2wavnpce said:
Suffolkboy":2wavnpce said:

Yebbut you're effectively encouraging any newbie or inexperienced user to do it. :roll:
But you and everybody else is effectively discouraging any newbie or inexperienced user to do it, which is fine by me and the whole point of discussing things. They have to be looked at - remember Steve's dangerous flying not quite SUVA saw guard? I seem to recall a picture of a mangled thumb!
There have been lots of other things over the years, good, bad, indifferent.
Post things up, talk about whether they are right or wrong, that's how progress is made. Better out than in.

Not too long ago I was planing an oak board about 8" wide, about 1" thick and say 2ft long, When I got to just before the middle of the board the blades hit an especially hard piece of grain and it launched the front end of the workpiece upwards about an inch off the table, when the wood landed back on the blades it did it again and again, all within a second. Sharp blades, Sharp Operator, It happens regardless.

Now, I was probably exerting more weight onto the board than your weights would've and it still launched the board upwards, I'd hate to see that happen with a couple of small 3-5kg weights on top where they get launched about and perhaps end up falling off the board into the unguarded blades causing catastrophic damage to the machine by way of breaking pieces off the table lips and the blades themselves causing more shrapnel to fly and launching the weight into low earth orbit.

The anvil would probably stay put though, or if not at least it will get Wile E. Coyote on the way down.

Someone is bored and grumpy. He did the same topic before Christmas and it was removed. Just amuse him ........

Lons
Jacob:
But you and everybody else is effectively discouraging any newbie or inexperienced user to do it,

Damn right we are, it isn't safe practice.

Any newbies reading this please take note:

ONE member saying it's safe and encouraging you to try it whilst the rest of us are saying DON'T
Make your own minds up :)

I'm a big advocate of safety, even above and beyond HSE standards.

This...from the man - with a fair bit of woodworking behind him - who advocates loose, several kilogram weights, on an unstable medium, poised directly above three, to four, fast-moving 'womeras' powered by a multihorsepower motor?

Give us all a break from the provocative, self-agrandising, pabulum you spout man.

Sam

Edit: sorry "aggrandising" has two 'g's'.

OK have it your own way I give up! What is pabulum?

Trevanion":18dxfdjm said:
Jacob":18dxfdjm said:
OK have it your own way I give up!

You said that last time, but that lasted all of 20 minutes before you came back guns blazing.
Hardly "guns blazing", more just trying to chat about woodwork in a friendly way amongst a group of very bad tempered and offensive miserable sods.

Thread locked now because I really cant be pineappled to try and filter out both sides of the argument.

Idiots, know-it-alls and trolls require a response.

You respond in any way - they win!
you jumping in and telling them they're stupid and dangerous - they win!
you jumping in to support the 'correct' one - the troll wins!
You jumping in with a sarcastic or jokey response - they win!
Me jumping in and locking/ deleting/ editing the thread - they win!

There is no way of defeating of troll or a know-it-all or an silly person, apart from completely ignoring them.

They will say something inflammatory just to get a response or reinforce their feelings of superiority. If they genuinely believe that they are correct and everyone else is wrong, then you're not going to change their mind, they'll feel as strongly about their point of view as you do about yours, and you'll just fill the pages with more and more angry responses which will then degenerate into personal insults and more bad feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back