Planes I bought

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcluma

Established Member
Reaction score
Based on the advise I got here I went for a smoother and a jack plane. and i thought well why not :lol:

I trough in a scraper
:p

well i did my time sharpening them with the stanley sharping kit.

I was looking at the veritas automatic MKII
=P~
Does anybody have THAT one

McLuma

Mine sits unused in a box, and will do so for two months more. I bought mine at a woodworking show in Southern California after watching a gentleman demonstrate it and field questions for about 45 minutes.

First off, let me say that I know sharpening technique is a very charged, political topic with woodworkers. Many opinions. I couldn't sharpen my kitchen knives, which drives my wife crazy.

My dad, a machinist, taught me how. I still couldn't do it.

I bought the Veritas because the salesman from Lee-Valley Tools told me that, although he taught woodworking in Canada at the trade college and high school levels, he couldn't sharpen a thumbtack to save his life.

But operating the Veritas, he said, proved to be a different kettle of fish. Though I haven't operated it yet, here are the advantages that is witnessed or were reported.

Time — the salesperson flattened the back of a plane iron in 2 minutes. He then ground the edge, and then honed a bevel on that edge in the space of 90 seconds. That was it.

Materials - the abrasive disks can be bought at any store selling painting supplies. The MK II uses the 7" disks made for auto/furniture sanders. Cheap, plentiful, an amazing variety of grits, long-lasting.

Ergonimics - Instead of a sharpening bench - instead of water troughs - instead of stones which must be stored submerged, you can park the MK II in a cabinet, and then plop it on the benchtop for use. And it doesn't slop water around as do waterstones.

Technique -- None required. Oh, and the salesman cautioned me thusly." Do not grind metal with the Veritas. Just touch the blade to the revolving disk briefly."

Cost - Here in America, it costs $300. A bit more than a better grade router. Compared to stones, the price is competative. Less than one hour ago, my $35 bid on eBay for a USED 8000 grit Japanese waterstone failed to win the auction. The item went for $56. Used. For one stone. You would need about 4 stones to have a full complement in your shop.

I know people who are very fast using stones and love the procedure. But ask my wife how well I performed using my two-sided Japanese stone on our kitchen knives. Awful.

If you are in the UK, the shipping on a Veritas might deter you. I believe it weighs 15kg.

When my shop is constructed and I move to my new home, I'll give you a full report on the MK II. There are close to 20 used chisels and 13 or 14 Stanley planes waiting to be sharpened.

Gary Curtis
Los Angeles — soon to be in Trinity County, 265 miles North of San Francisco

Mcluma":1q36bgyl said:
well i did my time sharpening them with the stanley sharping kit.
I was looking at the veritas automatic MKII
=P~
Does anybody have THAT one
McLuma
Congratulations on the purchases, Mcluma! But don't say we didn't warn you (just not as much as urged you :lol: ). It is a slippery slope...

The info Gary gives above about the MK.II Power Sharpener is pretty accurate.

Just to also throw out a teaser in answer to your question though...

sharpening.jpg

Latest posts

Back