Planer/Thicknessers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphs14

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Still looking for a planer thicknesser that won't break the bank. Can anyone tell me it seems that the Metabo, Sip, Electra Beckum, Record power and Draper 10" x 6" are all the same unit. Probably banged out in China and badged up over here. Firstly is this true or do they just look the same. Secondly are they any good, and thirdly I am going to show my ignorance here, does 10" x 6" mean they will take a 10" board across the planer on top and a 6" post through the thicknesser? I need one that will straighten and thickness oak, both green and dried for a spot of furniture making. Would they be capable? Also is there anyone out there with a p/thicnesser to sell secondhand. Doesn't have to be one of the above makes.
Thanks in advance
Peter

If you look on the For Sale section someone is selling a CT150 planer, and a Dewalt 733 thicknesser. A far better set up that combination machine, and all for £600.

I would go for seperates too if you can manage it, my bro-in-law has a combi machine and is always coming round to use my DeWalt thicknesser as his isn't wide enough! If you shop around you can get the DW for as little as £325 new.

I have an old school Sedwick, yeh ok it weighs around 300kg but she's a beaut! All for a bargain price of £500 on eblag!

Unless space is very tight I always tell newbies, separates!

Roy.

I'll always go for second hand if and where possible. Also I like the planer thicnesser as its over and under same machine same job, keeps my work organised and I can poition job so not to forget which way the grain lies.
That said, I've never used seperates always worked with planer thicknessers.

This is the same as mine other than this one's 3 phase, great price too if you ask me, if your OK with not moving it around i think its a bargain British made too!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENN-A28-Sedg ... 069wt_1185

After my bad experience with record power 260, I would recommend seperates. They do not take up extra room as planer is not as deep, and planer sits under the work bench when not in use.

Long ago I changed from separates to a PT as couldn't find, within my budget, a thicknesser with an induction motor. I'm in a very residential area and the brush motored ones were all far too noisy - even just running - and worse when cutting.

The problem for me with combis is that to get one with a decent width and height capacity you end up with a pretty large and expensive machine, for me that made seperates essential as I often need the full width and height offered by my DW733, I also needed portability.

Hi, i have the axi benchtop P/T. i never had a planer or thicknesser before so every thing was done with a No5 stanley! so the Axi machine was amazing when i got it, it planes, it thicknesses and the results for me where workable - i couldnt tell you if the tables where 100% aligned and all of that but for what it cost it was great. i did come across another bench top machine that was slightly more substantial, well greater capacity, but i can remember who supplied it - it was slightly more expensive

I treated myself to a p/t last year and found a bargain priced Metabo. This is my first and only p/t so I cannot compare with others, but for my hobby use it has delivered everything I had hoped for.
2 things good chip extraction essential - wheel kit essential.
I did google a minute ago and found this, new at £39, similar to price I paid, but I got wheel kit thrown in.

http://www.gibbsanddandy.com/branches/W ... CKNESSER-/

Whats your maximum budget?

I had the same dilema about 6 mths ago and talked to some top guys on this site and made the best choice.

I wont tell you what it is unless you can stretch to it because it will just anouy you.

Cheers kev

I have the same dilema. Start up workshop. I'm a Carpenter/Joiner by trade.
I'm looking to get kitted out. I was looking at the Axminster aw106pt2-planer-thicknesser.
But not sure... I may be able to stretch to £900. Hopefully this isn't hijacking the thread lol

Trying to find a machine on Ebay is a bit of a task... One I'm a little dubious about paying for the machine before seeing the machine working first and two some are miles away...
I'd love an old Wadkin but they seem to be going for too much or are miles away.

I've just gone for the Jet 260 which I got at last years Ax price...fantastic machine and will switch from planing to thicknessing in around 10 seconds. Tables lift as one complete unit, flip over the hood and away you go... - Rob

Latest posts

Back