Planer/Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jake,

That is one mean planer/thicknesser. :tool:

I bought a Wadkin 10" table saw on Ebay. I had to change the motor as I don't have 3 phase electrickery. :( Its a loverly machine, heavy cast iron, standard mirtre slots smooth as anything to use. :D

I keep looking at the Wadkin planer/thicknessers that turn up on Ebay, there have been some nice 12" ones but they go for ~£1200 and for me still need the motors swaped. :evil:

There are loads of such machines turning up lately, (real proper) cast iron of all descriptions. Due to the new safety (braking time) regulations, I'd guess. A beautiful 20" wadkin bandsaw went for £250 the other week. Even with conversion to single phase, and transport, they've got to be so much better value than the cheap chinese option, for less money. Unfortunately, my cellar precludes heavy cast iron of this sort.

My saw will break down into smaller almost manageable weight pieces, you just need a box of wheatabix, the use a large son/son-in-law works well. :roll: :wink:

Many of the woodworkers in the States have basement shops and that is the land of cast iron machines.

Yeah, unfortunately their basements tend to have doors to the outside. Mine doesn't. Access is via a stairwell that means that even my HMS260 had to come to pieces to get in. And then when you get down there it is just not big enough for this class of machine. It'll have to wait until I escape London and get some real space (or win the lottery, or both

Lathe, anyone?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 19289&rd=1

Jake,

Is this the machine?

I have looked at it before, this is the second time its been list and it failed to meet the reserve at £211 last time.

This would much harder to replace the motors on compared to my Wadkin table saw, as the one that is shown in the picture is not a standard foot mount.

Its also 175 miles from me, a bit of a trek even by my standards. (I have just booked the 19 month old Volvo V40 in for its 60,000 mile service.)

Back