planer/thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphs14

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there, fairly new to woodworking but I find I have the need for a planer thicknesser.
Are there any do's and don'ts that I should know about when buying. Also is there anything I need to know about buying secondhand and does anyone out there want to sell one!
I am situated just outside London N/East by the M25 and can travel to collect.
I could really do with the advice.
Thanks,

Peter

The vast majority are made from mix and match Far Eastern parts. Just be aware that he cheaper table models are normally powered by an extremely noisy brush motor. The next model up (and twice the price) in many ranges (usually 260 in the model number) mostly have a much quieter induction motor.

There are some elderly cast iron machines on the secondhand market. Often they require some repairs but if you know a little about metalworking this is a way to get a good machine for little money. The heavier the better.

My cousin laughed at me when I bought a badly abused planer/thicknesser is from the 1950-ies and restored it thoroughly. The year before he had bought a new chineese machine with aluminium frame for the same amount of money. Now two years later his chineese is badly worn while mine still has some 50 or 100 years of useful life left in it.
Now I am negotiating the purchase of a bigger machine because my woodworking hobby is turning into a side income. On the secondhand market you can get a professional quality combi machine with 24" planer/thicknesserand table saw and full size spindle moulder for less money than a new 10" sheppach planer/thicknesser.

My personal advise on buying PTs is the same as Dr Johnson's 'advise to a young man about to get married,' don't!
Separates are more like to be fitted with induction motors and more robust.

Roy.

Back