planer thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clive griffiths

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have been pondering over changing my planer thicknesser, I have a felder 731 purchased new in 2003 with a four knife block, as I am semi retired I am looking to uprate to a new machine with the spiral block and I think I have narrowed it down to a hammer a3 or a4 or push the boat out to the 741,what are your thoughts?

Isn’t the hammer in fact a step down from the felder?
What are your reasons for wanting to replace the machine?

Isn’t the hammer in fact a step down from the felder?
What are your reasons for wanting to replace the machine?

Yes a couple of good questions, I have been thinking about changing for a while I like the spiral cutter block but changing to a hammer ? now changing to another felder no problem except the price as it would have to be a 741 as the 5 series does not have assisted tables.

My own felder is in good condition as no one has ever used it only me and a new machine would be a present to myself after 55 yrs working .

Can you not just change the cutter head of you want spiral?
Can you not just change the cutter head of you want spiral?

Yes I did look in to this a couple of months ago but still looks a bit of a grey area , there is a change of cutter block on youtube it is an American site but looks like to much for me to try without knowing the outcme .

Clive.

If your concerned about ordering the wrong spiral block then just phone a woodworking machine supplier and ask them to arrange it for you. Or you can at least phone them for advice. Should be easy enough to do.

Employ someone to make sure it’s correct. If you like the machine you currently have, I wouldn’t go and buy another one just for a different block.

Hi

Just wondering what benefits you would gain with the spiral cutter, it is not like we are comparing changing a Ford for a Bently as you are already in the top end of the market.

Is a 2020 hammer a step down from a 2003 felder, i’d hazard a guess not , will it be the same standard as a 2020 felder again probably not, so if it gives you the features you want go for it, your old felder will still be worth good money, i use an older 2 cutter version of yours and it still does what i want, but if the funds were ever to come to hand i’d be looking at getting a 751 spiral block. Would i really need it , no, but would i enjoy owning and using it yes.

The finish from the felder silent block is excellent but I’d be wary of changing blocks for any other brand & I don’t believe Felder offer a block retro fit.
A quick google suggests if you were to sell your Felder it should pay for a new Hammer depending on model.

Back