Planer/Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emstuv

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m in the market for a P/T, the used market is a bit slim here in Norway. However there is a HC260 K for sale (I’ve spoken to him and all the pieces are there). Link to ad (Norwegian)

https://www.finn.no/bap/forsale/ad.html ... =144733473

He’s asking 10000 NOK, for comparison the Axi AC260PT is 17000. Is he asking a ridiculously high price for a near 30 year old tool?

I'm not so familiar with the second-hand market in Norway but that seems quite a bit steeper compared to UK prices at roughly £875 converted from kroner, You would usually pick up one of those in this country for under £400. That being said, you mentioned that the second-hand market was slim in Norway so naturally prices would be higher, and Norway is notoriously expensive anyway :)

The Elektra Beckum HC260 is regarded as a good hobby grade machine but it really isn't much more than that.

It really depends on how desperate you are for one. If you can afford to wait until a better one / better priced one comes up that might be your best course of action, if you don't think you'll find one for a better price and if you do resell it you would get most of your money back it might be worth getting.

Just a thought, I had a new table saw @ 86kg delivered to the Dordogne France, area 24 about 780km from Axminster tools for £36.00 which I thought was very reasonable, may be worth contacting them and asking how much for delivery to your part of Norway? Or look at Scheppach which are made in Germany.

I have tried talking him down, but no luck. It’s from his late fathers workshop.

Axi do deliver to Norway but for heavier items they prefer you use the local vendor......which means an increase in price.

Meh, I can wait and get an Axi or Jet later

Hi there

when looking for a P/T take extra time to review the type and fitment of the knives, it is something I overlooked as a newcomer to one of these machines and in hindsight would not have brought a Record PT107 simply because of the time and hassle of fitting them, I still have not got them set properly. Look for something that takes knives that basicaly fit like the Axminster AT 260 with quick change self setting HSS knives as standard, if I had known this it would have been my choice rather than the record.

Spectric":6aj858bx said:
Hi there

when looking for a P/T take extra time to review the type and fitment of the knives, it is something I overlooked as a newcomer to one of these machines and in hindsight would not have brought a Record PT107 simply because of the time and hassle of fitting them, I still have not got them set properly. Look for something that takes knives that basicaly fit like the Axminster AT 260 with quick change self setting HSS knives as standard, if I had known this it would have been my choice rather than the record.

That is a different machine to the PT260 I quoted above on which I have no problems aligning the knives.

I am now leaning towards getting a Axi 260 (maybe with spiral). Lumber is ridiculously expensive here if you want it planed. I.e. oak 15x120 will cost £40 per meter. Rough cut oak 50x200 is the same (just from on local vendor, might be cheaper elsewhere in the country).

So unless you want to make anything that is not MDF or plywood, you kinda need a decent P/T.

As for the Record and Metabo planer you can easily double the price here.

Norway though. You need to take out a mortgage to buy a sandwich in Norway :)

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Back