Planer Thicknesser Setup Advise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teab227

Reaction score
Due to restricted access at the workshop I've been using I decided to buy a planner thicknesser. This Excel machine fitted my budget and it seems to be a generic machine made under lots of different names.

Excel 10'' 250mm Planer Thicknesser 1500W/240V with Stand

I have never purchased or setup my own machines so this is all new!
After unpacking I checked a couple of things, fence is just about 90 to table and the infeed and out table are just about inline. They do slope down about 0.25mm towards the cutter head from the ends of the table (I can't see anyway to adjust this).

After a few test pieces run through to see how well it would joint I'm more than a little disappointed. In the photo attached I hope its clear that its not producing parallel cuts, they seem to be 'U' shaped.
thumbnail_IMG_4326.jpg

It has a good 0.25mm gap at either end. I'm trying to get my head round what is out, I'm guessing its because the table runs downhill to the cutter, then back uphill?

Any thoughts on what I can try?

Thanks,

Standard problem with many of this generic model is that tables are not coplanar and not adjustable. I would bung it back as not fit for purpose.

I found this chap on the tube who's advice I found very helpful

Only if yours is the same type of generic as mine though

Back