Planer / Thicknesser recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morpheus83uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

A while ago I posted asking about a bench top P/T combo machine but as Sheppach have broken the line they were bringing out I have decided to get some dedicated machines. So after a bit of looking the Dewalt DW735 seems to have very good reviews and had a 100mm extraction which is what I currently have at home.

Sorry just saw that the DW735 is not available in the UK only in Canada and the US it seems but its equivalent is the DW733. It seems like its slightly different what would people say about this is it worth the money?

Firstly what are peoples thoughts on this?

Secondly I am looking for a bench top planer which would be good as the Scheppach was 10 inch I was looking for something similar if it exists and I am looking for any recommendations that would be able to just be put on a bench when in use and put under the bench when not as I don't have room for anything to be stood up or on a permanent stand.

Thank You for your help

James

Hi James,

Admittedly not exactly related to what you’ve asked, but have you considered one of the larger floor standing machines?

I have the Axminster AC250PT which is an excellent piece of kit. I have a Triton lunchbox thicknesser that I can also wholeheartedly recommend.

If you’re interested in knowing more about the Axminster machine, here’s a link to a review I made about it https://youtu.be/X5hdKVNfVIY

Cheers,
Tom

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the recommendation unfortunately I literally don't have any room for something of that size. It would need to sit under my work bench and come out when needed. I have looked and I could probably get away with an 8 inch planer but the ones I seem to be finding are all in the US. Does anyone know if we have any that are here in the UK?

Thanks

James

I don't think you can get a benchtop 8 inch planer over here, at best there's only a 6 inch capacity version like the SIP 01455 which has been rebadged a number of times over the years.

Hi James,

That’s no problem, I hear you. You could look at the Clarke models that come in 6, 8 and 10” widths I believe. Look them up on machine mart, with the benefit that it’s a brick and mortar shop. They also do home delivery.

I can’t vouch personally for the machines, but might be enough of a lead to get you started.

Hope you find something suitable.

Cheers,
Tom

Thank you for the replies I will check out what people have suggested.

What do people think of the Dewalt Thicknesser?

Thanks

Tom, I just watched your video and it's inspired me to get one of those planers. Looking at the video, it appears you have a similar space to me - a single car garage.

How have you managed to get a full size planer in there?

Latest posts

Back