Planer / Thicknesser - How to do it properly?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shockingmoment

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.
I've just invested in a new Record P/T and having spent a day or so setting it up would like to pick up as many hints / tips as poss - particularly in getting rid of end to end bowing. Previously got someone else to do this for me!

Typical stock length is 48 - 60", latest project involve 1 3/4" square oak.

Thanks in advance

Not sure if this is what your meaning but i think you mean to get a sawn piece of timber into a straight piece of prepared timber .
If this is the case then its as simple as stricking a straight line down 1 face of your timber and running it thro your saw. Then take it over your surface planer untill all the timber is faced giving you your face side . Set your fence up and put your face side against it and run your next edge ( face edge) thro .
Once you have these 2 edges square to each other ( they should be as youve just planed them ) set up the thicknesser and finish up the other two edges . Easy really :D
p.s dont forget to mark your face side and edge :lol:

Also I think Tony has put a jig on the forum to reduce snipe.

Must get round to making myself on of those, it frightens me holding up the timber underneath the table as the wood reaches the ends. :oops:

Latest posts

Back