Planer thicknesser drive belt

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerP

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a SIP 01344 planer thicknesser which is essentially the same as Axminster AWEPT106, Metabo HC 260C, Record PT260, Draper 78942 and probably others.

Whilst giving it a bit off tune-up and check over I noticed the flat drive belt has a lot more play (about 2 inch deflection) than I'd have thought it should have and there's no provision to tension it. The machine is working fine and the belt looks in good condition. Can anyone with one of these machines say if the belt should have a lot of play? Thanks.

I have a Metabo - the ribbed belt is very tight.
Cheapest replacement (thanks to Bob) is from CRM Saws on the bay?

Rod

I'm not familiar with the machine, but when you say there is no provision to tension it, how do you slacken it off for removal and replacement? On my planer the motor is mounted to a hinged plate, with a bolt system for tightening the motor in place - this is the tensioning system (ie undo the bolt, lift the motor and that releases tension on the belt, reverse applies tension).

Cheers

Karl

It's the part numbered 256 in this diagram - the flat drive belt.

sip.jpg

Thanks for your help,

Oops sorry - I've only ever investigated the ribbed one which rotates the blades.

Rod

Harbo":1s8hr64e said:
Oops sorry - I've only ever investigated the ribbed one which rotates the blades.
Rod
.... not your mistake - I should have explained it better in the first post :)

I put on a new belt this year because the previous belt was slipping.

Mine came from SIP and it is reasonably tight, I reckon you will notice the difference if you change to a tighter one.

devonwoody":3kzb5rzk said:
I put on a new belt this year because the previous belt was slipping.
Mine came from SIP and it is reasonably tight, I reckon you will notice the difference if you change to a tighter one.
I think I'll get one, despite that the is machine working okay, I can't believe it should have as much play as it has.

Finally got a belt! The size difference between the new and the old stretched one is astonishing. I thought for a moment it was too small and I'd got the wrong one but it fitted fine.

Back