Planer/Thicknesser Dilemma

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dddd

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondered if any of you guys can help me with a small dilemma I'm having, I need a new planer/thicknesser and have been looking at the HMS 260ci which i believe is generally hailed as a superb machine. However, I've recently been drawn to the Jet 54A, probably coupled with a Axminster CT330 or CT 344 (or equivalent).
Now I think this is a pretty good position to be in as I really don't think there is a bad choice here, but would like to see what others think first.
I do a wide variety of projects both big and small, the next job will be a somewhat substantial hardwood deck for the garden.

Hi dddd

Welcome to the forum.

I have the Jet 60A and the quality of the cut is just fantastic.

The big reason I went for separates was to save having to change the machine over from thicknessing to planing mode. :roll:

Cheers
Neil

Hi dddd

Welcome to the forum. I too wanted separates and funnily enough was after the exact combination that you ar looking at. In the end I opted for the Jet, but the 60A instead of the 54A and I changed my mind on the thicknesser and went for the Jet as well.

Very happy, no regrets.

Jeff

Since I'm not in the same league as Neil & Jeff I have the Jet 54A, superb. It lives with the Delta 560 thicknesser and the pair of them couldn't be happier.

Noel

PS Welcome to the site.

I have the 54a and the DeWalt 733- a great team!
The Jet is a delight-massive cast iron mouldings that don't budge a gnats doo-da!
Cheers
Philly :D

Welcome to UKW :D

I have the Jet 60a jointer and the APTC CT330 thicknesser and highly recommend them both. Although don't mention blades to me as I had problems with the supplied blades on both machines ](*,)

If I had the space, I would go for separates but only if I could have a jointer that was a good bit wider than 6 inches or so. I don't like ripping boards in half if I don't have to so I would be looking for at least 10 inches and preferably wider in a jointer which makes it a monster by dedicated jointer standards whereas it comes standard with my Scheppach.

Changing modes is pretty quick too so whilst I would prefer not to have to do so, it is only a minor annoyance.

waterhead37":1vbt5wqk said:
I don't like ripping boards in half if I don't have to so I would be looking for at least 10 inches and preferably wider in a jointer which makes it a monster by dedicated jointer standards whereas it comes standard with my Scheppach.
Yep, same feeling here. And as I'm as likely to grow wings as ever afford a jointer that wide, it's P/Ts all the way.

waterhead37":1vbt5wqk said:
Changing modes is pretty quick too so whilst I would prefer not to have to do so, it is only a minor annoyance.
Just what is required to change from one mode to the other on a dedicated P/T? I ask 'cos on the Maxi you just have to switch the dust extraction wotsit from one position to the other, which is dead easy. I hear of having to remove tables and other irritations on "proper" P/Ts. Is this so? And if so, why? Seems a lot more bother. :-k

Cheers, Alf

Hi Alf

Alf":1tvr2j2f said:
I ask 'cos on the Maxi you just have to switch the dust extraction wotsit from one position to the other, which is dead easy.

So you do actually use the Maxi. :shock:

Cheers
Neil

Newbie_Neil":1zfjt3pp said:
Hi Alf

Alf":1zfjt3pp said:
I ask 'cos on the Maxi you just have to switch the dust extraction wotsit from one position to the other, which is dead easy.

So you do actually use the Maxi. :shock:
I know - the humanity, eh? :roll: That's all I use it for, except as a handy bench top (well it's rock solid at least :lol: ).

Cheers, Alf

Hi everybody, Following the thread of this subject brougth to mind an incident a few months ago. I have a Scheppch HMS 260 (not cast iron) and was having a "senior moment" moaning about having to change modes, I'd just surfaced a board, I'd then got to remove the guide rail, remove the outfeed table, change the dust spouts, adjust the thicknessing table, :roll: :roll: :roll: would it never end :roll: Then it had got to be put back again to edge the board. My friend who was watching all this performance said how long do you think it takes to change ??? I didn't know, so he said go on then have another go and i'll time you.. How long do you think :?: 54 seconds :lol: :lol: I'm retired for God's sake, it wouldn't really matter if it took much longer in my case. Needless to say I never think of it as a chore now :D :D :D

Cheers Alan

gwaithcoed":3rg1lomd said:
54 seconds

That's not bad :D It takes me 4 seconds to walk from the jointer to the thicknesser and another 20 seconds to move the extractor :whistle:

Changing modes on a P/T? If Sedgewick can design that annoying bit out, why can't other manuafacturers?

Ike

Cheers guys,

appreciate your responses.

Must admit I think I'm pretty much sold on the Jet, I think the planing width will not be a huge issue for me and those long tables are just too hard to resist.

Hi, I didn't get my thicknesser yet and have the axminster CT 150 planer.
The thought of changing modes would put me off using the tool, so it's seperates all the way for me :wink:

I think you are making the right choice dddd

Hi Charley

Charley":2jz4lgdr said:
That's not bad :D It takes me 4 seconds to walk from the jointer to the thicknesser and another 20 seconds to move the extractor

You have to move the extractor? :shock:

Cheers
Neil

Alf,

I can do it in about 30 secs - exact timing depends on how much I need to wind the thicknessing table up or down to install/unistall the DC exhaust.

I have the Startrite FS400 thicknesser and Startrite S520 planer and if you have got the room, i certainly think that separates are the way to go.

Good luck with what ever you choose.

Regards

Woody

Newbie_Neil":1u5949ew said:
Hi Charley

Charley":1u5949ew said:
That's not bad :D It takes me 4 seconds to walk from the jointer to the thicknesser and another 20 seconds to move the extractor

You have to move the extractor? :shock:

Cheers
Neil

Yes I'm afraid so Neil. It'll take even longer when my new TS arrives as I'll have to wheel it around the 52" rip rails :D

Was hoping to get the extractor plumbed in soon but it's been put down the list thanks to the electrics :roll:

Latest posts

Back