Planer/Thicknesser decisions.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jonathan S

This is partly why I am leaning towards the hammer, they have offered me a nice deal.

Ollie

Has anyone done a comparison between the noise level of a Tersa head and a spiral head, on the same machine. Noise is the No.1 priority for me.... As long as I don't get any serious tearouts, I'm not that bothered about the finish as I always hand plane afterwards. I've only seen sound level comparisons between spiral and conventional heads.

MilesH":26ihkau3 said:
Has anyone done a comparison between the noise level of a Tersa head and a spiral head, on the same machine. Noise is the No.1 priority for me.... As long as I don't get any serious tearouts, I'm not that bothered about the finish as I always hand plane afterwards. I've only seen sound level comparisons between spiral and conventional heads.

Google is very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceUStKnFUgo

Just love the remote control to adjust the thicknesser table height.

Well I have had the green light from the money manager and pressed go for the Hammer A3 31 with spiral cutter and digital handwheel.
I am sure from the tests I have done on various machines that it is not the best for everything but for the compromises of cost/space/noise/surface finish/smaller cabinet work I felt it was the best option for me
Delivery is about 3 months when I will then see how it really stands up and will write a report on it. Until then my Startrite will carry on and I will then look to sell on this forum
Ian ( feeling broke, knowing SWIMBO will want something for her but also a bit excited at the prospect of a first new machine)

Oooh exciting. :D
The long wait begins......plenty of time to find a crazy figured bit of wood to really test it out

I agree with your analysis of the price/space/noise/surface finish/other availible options etc matrix. Its hard to beat.

It is nice to have brand new stuff .

Ollie

Oooh exciting. :D
The long wait begins......plenty of time to find a crazy figured bit of wood to really test it out

I agree with your analysis of the price/space/noise/surface finish/other availible options etc matrix. Its hard to beat.

It is nice to have brand new stuff .

Ollie
Did you go for the Hammer in the end and how are you liking it?

Did you go for the Hammer in the end and how are you liking it?
I did get the Hammer planer thicknesser. It was a long wait for it to arrive.
It is a very nice machine, quiet and smooth. Surface finish is nice from the helical cutter
I am getting a small amount of snipe when thicknessing. Needs adjustment of roller pressure.
I have not put a massive amount through it yet but I am pretty happy.

Ollie

Back