Planer/thicknesser combo help? Elektra beckum hc260

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick b

Reaction score
hi all.

I recently purchased an Elektra Beckum hc 260 planer/thicknesses combo built in 1992. I have not tested the planer function yet but had some initial troubles trying to use the thicknesser below.

The machine looks like it has been kept in good condition. I have ordered some silbergleit lube as the beds are not so smooth as it probably hasn't been used in a while not sure if that will have a dramatic change to my issue though.

Ok so basically when raising up the bed and making contact with the rollers which seem to be fixed. the wood doesn't seem to make contact with the blades unless the rollers are really jammed down tight on the wood making it almost impossible to feed the wood through. As the rollers appear to be fixed should this be a case of me perhaps resetting the knives so they pertrude slightly more and make contact more easily?

I haven't tested the planer on top yet although with both indeed and outfeed tables attached and running a piece of wood over the tables (machine off) the blades do catch the piece of wood on the planer. i could only find a Manuel for the metabo hc 260 although both machines appear mostly identicle it notes a planer/thicknesser switch located next to on off buttons which looks like it doesn't exist on the elektra version.

I'm a complete rookie with this being my first machine of this kind and having never used one before. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated I noticed there were few others on here with the same machine.

It's not the planer knives that push the wood through, it's the rollers. I had a similar problem when I got my record power pt260 - the rollers didn't seem to want to push the wood through, and I had to force it through myself.

A quick spray of the feed table with some wd40 dry lubricant and it worked like a charm, so that's definitely the first thing to check

I have the hc260 the beds need a real good clean then rubbed with a good wax once you do that it should be fine you can when your down there check the grab roller and make sure it is clear as well give the 4 corner threaded rails a good clean and spray with silicone if you keep doing this regularly you should have no problems a new set of blades helps as well. Jim

Thanks guys. Should have some wax soon and hopefully this makes a difference. I understand that it isn't the blades that pull the wood through but the rollers. My concern was that blades wouldn't make contact with the wood when the rollers were touching the wood unless the rollers were really jammed down tight on the wood which seemed odd and made them more like a clamp then a roller

Ring":3ey9xqq3 said:
I have the hc260 the beds need a real good clean then rubbed with a good wax once you do that it should be fine you can when your down there check the grab roller and make sure it is clear as well give the 4 corner threaded rails a good clean and spray with silicone if you keep doing this regularly you should have no problems a new set of blades helps as well. Jim
Thanks both, waxed up the bed and it worked like a dream. Tried to use the jointer on top but was having difficultys hitting the whole face. Guess this was more a case of the operator than the machine itself so will need to look into setup and jointing techniques. Any tips you have with using the jointer on your hc 260 Jim would be great.

Hi Nick,
I have the SIP version of the machine.
You say the machine is new to you, did you check the tables are coplaner and the infeed isn't set to its highest point.
I sometimes have the same problem when planing, and it almost always the outfeed table handles not tightening properly when changing back from thicknessing mode, therefore the table is canted slightly.
Good luck with fettling your machine, they are a great tool for a small workshop.
Kieran

Back