Planer/ Thicknesser buying advice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macleod92

Reaction score
Hi, I was hoping to get some advice about combination thickness/ planers. I’ve had a look around and can’t see any recent threads asking this, sorry if I’ve missed them.

Originally I ruled out the idea of getting a combination machine as I didn’t have the budget and I’d like to buy something that's going to be half decent. That’s why I ruled out getting something like the Titan combination planer/ thicknesser.
I was looking at just getting a thicknesser (the Triton TPT125 seems to have good reviews) and using a jointer sled with it to flatten stock.
But I’m wondering if there would be any decent combination machines around, maybe 2nd hand?
Woodworking is just a hobby for me so I can’t justify throwing massive amounts of money at this, that said I’d probably be looking to spend up to about £350- 400.

I've come across the Metabo HC260C, is this any good?

I probably don’t have the space for two machines anyway but in all honesty I figure that my budget is the bigger issue.

I’m realistic enough to know that I won’t be able to get a 12” cast iron jointer, but I’d like to be versatile. If I’d be better off just going for a thicknesser and using workarounds then that is fine. Just thought it was worth asking the question.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions I’d love to hear them, thanks.

When I looked into this the decent Lunchbox thicknesers went for very nearly the same price as the record/metabo combined machines that are all based around the same design.
It's a shame that Axminster stopped selling their clone machine.
Just looking at the combined machines they look as good as or better than the Lunchbox type and also come with jointer mode and quiet induction motors.
Id stay away from the really cheap smaller combined machines woodstar etc that screwfix or machine Mart sell circa £299 because they do not have any ability to adjust the mechanism if it does not run true. You are stuck with how it came out of the factory.
Many of the record cloves can be adjusted for parallel on the jointer side.
HTH
Neil

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

If you're prepared to stretch a little I can wholeheartedly recommend the Ddewalt DW733.

I've had mine for a while now and it has become one of the most used tools in my shop. I buy my lumber 'landed' and have a nice little jig to which I hot glue it so it is supported and doesn't get squashed by the rollers and this allows be to get a good reference surface in order to plane down to a nice board. Quick pass through the table saw and it's true as a square thing.

Couple of things I learnt though...

spare blades. these RRP for $$$$ but if you ask around your locality you should be able to find a sharpener who will not charge the earth. I paid £8 a pair last time they were done. They also made me up a spare pair of blades for £12 but they don't have the registration cut outs and are therefore a bit of a fiddle to fit.

chip extraction. whatever you go for don't expect it to connect to a small shop vac. And if you don't have a decent sucker expect to get messy. These beasts spew chips....

workpiece support. Unless you can magically be in two places budget for some rollers if you plan to put through anything longer than 3-4'. I have a cheap pair of record rollers and they are fine.

Slowly does it. This machine is a bit of a workhorse, but it has it's limitations and I prefer to make multiple passes rather than force my wood into her. slow and steady gets good results and if you're not a production shop then the extra time shouldn't be too inconvenient

Anyway, hope that helps. I was really after a planer/thicknesser too, but after watching a whole load of youtube videos and visiting DM-tools in twickers I decided I just didn't have the space for the proper job so I compromised. BUt on the plus side I can with a little extra work around plane and thickness 12" boards!

For the budget, you can I believe potentially get a nice secondhand decent cast iron machine. Multico is a brand of machine that does not seem to attract high prices (I've never understood why) and I've often seen them on eBay for your budget often with the morticing attachment. The really cheap ones are 3ph, however adding an inverter isn't very difficult and these days not very expensive.

They are not Wadkin build but they are IMO very well built and will last generations.

Latest posts

Back