Planer/thicknesser blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Around 3 weeks ago I fitted new blades to the P/T they have only been used once since fitting and I am in the lucky position of going away shortly for a months holiday.
Would it be advisable (particularly this time of year) to take the blades out of the P/T smear them with oil or grease and store out of a damp garage until my return, same with bandsaw blade and others?

Hi devonwoody,

Depends really on the extent to which your garage suffers from damp. I probably wouldn't bother, but then I don't seem to suffer from rust problems. However, there would be nothing lost and everything to gain by doing as you suggest, with all blades. But then where do you stop - chisels, planes, bits, power tools, any machines with steel or iron beds, etc.? :shock: Hey, how about moving the whole lot indoors? :roll:

Alternatively, you could oil/grease everything and leave it in situ - should be okay unless your damp problem is serious.

Whatever you do have a super holiday. :wink:

Cheers,

Trev.

devonwoody":20v1xhdx said:
Around 3 weeks ago I fitted new blades to the P/T they have only been used once since fitting and I am in the lucky position of going away shortly for a months holiday.
Would it be advisable (particularly this time of year) to take the blades out of the P/T smear them with oil or grease and store out of a damp garage until my return, same with bandsaw blade and others?

I would suggest a "light" spray or wipe of 3 in 1 or WD40, latter actually lifts existing moisture off surface but can leave wax like coating when dried out. Surplus oil should be removed with a rag wipe and scrap wood pass through when you do a system/tool check prior to using the tools again.

Hi CHJ.

Welcome to the woodforum.

Thanks for your advice.

Have you now come back to the UK?
Still struggling with some of your Freecell numbers.

If any freecell freaks on this forum ask CHJ for his list of specials.

devonwoody":3jmdfy6r said:
Hi CHJ.

Welcome to the woodforum.

Thanks for your advice.

Have you now come back to the UK?
Still struggling with some of your Freecell numbers.

If any freecell freaks on this forum ask CHJ for his list of specials.

Yes back after delivering Xmas pressies and generally bargain shopping in Bavaria. and to check that Sept. visit project (fence) was still standing.
f1.jpg

f3.jpg

Local 'State' widened and constructed Cycle/Rolerblade path from village to nearest town (4KM) and wanted to provide a safe corner for pedestrians entering side road. They bought a small area of land off my son and had to move signs out of middle of existing path. In the spirit of goodwill that is most important when dealing with local regs son had no objections to them relocating inside his boundary. In fact the fence is 30mm inside boundary at corner according to German planning office.

CHJ":2b4zdczx said:
In fact the fence is 30mm inside boundary at corner according to German planning office.
A whole 30mm?!
eek.gif
wink.gif

Welcome to the forum, Chas. I get the impression DW can vouch for you; all we need now is someone to vouch for him...
biggrin.gif

Cheers, Alf

Alf":29q901o4 said:
A whole 30mm?!
Cheers, Alf

Yep! that's the German precision for you. The Guy who built the large house next door (beyond end of fence)a couple of years ago even left a 0-500 mm tapered gap between the plot fences because the modern laser level showed that the old plot was not square to the road boundary?!!!!

Well the fence is still standing as of this morning, I hope I can see more of it next week when I get there.

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

The next job is to replace this section with the same but it ain't going to be this month.

Latest posts

Back