Planer thicknesser blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spectric

Staff member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all

Just looked at the Tersa type blade system and it looks so simple to remove and fit blades, ok so it is no good if your machine does not have the Tersa cutter block but why do manufacturers still use the older methods of retaining blades, from a design perspective it makes more sense to provide the customer with a straightforward simple system which in my opinion would be a selling point, so are there any downsides or is it just a case of they stick with what they have always done? It makes me think back to my purchase decision of the Record PT107 and the fact that because I had no previous experience with such machines I had big issues trying to set the three blades to achieve a decent finish, ended up buying the ESTA Knife System which solved the issues but had I known about the Tersa system at the time it would more than likely have swayed my final decision having already discounted spiral cutter blocks.

Hi Roy, I’ve got the Tersa system 3x 350mm blades, as you say completely foolproof which is probably just as well ha ha, each blade is held in with three lengths of wedge shaped metal which you just knock down with a hammer and a screwdriver and then slide the blades out, the first time I changed the blades was a little fraught, as you turn the machine on to use centrifugal force to trap the blade with the wedges – the blade can’t come out but it’s still unnerving the first time you do it.
The blades seem to last a good long time and then of course they are reversible so that doubles it, I’m in my workshop every day, not that I use the planer every day but you probably get the drift and I only buy a new set every 9 to 12 months? £50 And the finish is superb, you could just give it a light sand I suppose. Ian

I've got ordinary HSS blades just had them sharpened £3 each. Not really a problem fitting them back thanks to brilliant simple blade setter device which came with the machine (Minimax). I'll post a photo later

I got the blades for my Axminster entry level machine sharpened, and they leave a worse finish than before sharpening. They still flatten and thickness the boards, but the finish is just awful.
I'm thinking of upgrading the P/T this year and I've been looking at the Hammer A3-31 or SCM FS30C. Was wondering if the helical head is worth the investment ? I initially thought to go for a helical head, but many people seem to be very happy with the Tersa (ease of change and finish),

Does the Tersa system bring much improvement vs standard knives ? Do they stay sharp much longer ?

@Jacob : which minimax to you have ? and are you happy with it ?

I got the blades for my Axminster entry level machine sharpened, and they leave a worse finish than before sharpening. They still flatten and thickness the boards, but the finish is just awful.
I'm thinking of upgrading the P/T this year and I've been looking at the Hammer A3-31 or SCM FS30C. Was wondering if the helical head is worth the investment ? I initially thought to go for a helical head, but many people seem to be very happy with the Tersa (ease of change and finish),

Does the Tersa system bring much improvement vs standard knives ? Do they stay sharp much longer ?

Lab 300 with a long table - the "deluxe" model! It's been updated I see and improved. Excellent machine, very good quality.

A good question, I have focused on the ease of fitting and changing these Tersa blades compared to other methods but apart from the fitting is there any other advantage compared to say the ESTA Knife System I am using which has made blade changing much easier for myself.

https://www.advancedmachinery.co.uk/machinery/tooling.asp?section=esta-bruck-knife-system-382

Sorry I don’t know I’ve never had the chance to compare them, just to say another thumbs up for the SCM Minimax mine is the FS350, had it 10 years now and faultless. Ian

I am also deciding to upgrade and trying to choose between these two machines. I've used the minimax sc2 saw and I love it's simple, solid, accuracy. Hammer/Felder provide better initial customer service but the machine quality and build ultimately matters over the long term. I'm thinking of the tersa blades as there is a wider selection of blade types eg hss,m42 steel, and more. The xylent cutterhead is very good though and costs about 450 more than the tersa. Good luck with your decision

I am also deciding to upgrade and trying to choose between these two machines. I've used the minimax sc2 saw and I love it's simple, solid, accuracy. Hammer/Felder provide better initial customer service but the machine quality and build ultimately matters over the long term. I'm thinking of the tersa blades as there is a wider selection of blade types eg hss,m42 steel, and more. The xylent cutterhead is very good though and costs about 450 more than the tersa. Good luck with your decision
SCM are good on service too. My oldish Minimax failed twice, first time a capacitor and second the main switch. They were really helpful over the phone with diagnosis, advice and parts arriving next day.
The chaps I spoke to knew straightaway what the probs were and I would have saved myself hours of fiddling and head scratching if I'd phoned first - though I did get to thoroughly know the circuit and the mechanics of the safety cut out by the time I'd finished!

Last edited:
Back