Planer Thicknesser blade sharpening tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RGIvy

Established Member
Reaction score
I see many many DIY sharpening tools out there, mostly made of wood. Youtube is full of them.
Then I see there are a few (very few) expensive (very expensive) commercial kits.
Is there such a thing as a reasonably priced commercial tool or jig for sharpening blades between 250mm and 330mm wide?
...or is it really down to DIY?

I see many many DIY sharpening tools out there, mostly made of wood. Youtube is full of them.
Then I see there are a few (very few) expensive (very expensive) commercial kits.
Is there such a thing as a reasonably priced commercial tool or jig for sharpening blades between 250mm and 330mm wide?
...or is it really down to DIY?
If you consider that having them commercially ground is circa £10, you need it to be very cheap or very good, I think this is why the DIY versions are very cheap and why commercial outfits can make money on the £10. I’ve had my planer blades sharpened 3 times I think in the last ermmm 10 years? I will admit I probably should have had them done twice as much, but it doesn’t get huge use and I use a diamond hone to spruce them up between

aidan

What do you use to hold them at the correct angle?
That’s the lovely thing, you use it with the blades on the machine, it’s not a regrind, it literally is a hone (unlike just about every other time someone mentions honing when they mean grinding). So you can touch up the edge in situ

Aidan

I bought a hone.for planer blades....
wouldn't fit....the diamond hone couldn't get to the blade and no way to modify it....
been dragging it about for years and so many house moves.....
would I throw it away...now thinking of it....
It came from the USA and not cheap, prob 20-25 years ago.........

Have now bought a Kitty planer bade sharpening tool...240v will sharpen up to 10".....
they are not made anymore.....mine came from a French car boot.....
it was in peices and the guy had no idea what it was......
a good deal was had for just 4euro's.....hahaha...
en tante cordiale.....hahaha....
pay back....long story....

I'm sure someone mentioned a quick fit carbide planer mod/kit on this forum....
blowed if I can find it.....any help.....
have a fruitful weekend......

Send them off for resharpening as been mention at around £10 and will last for months. I do my own but takes years of experience sometimes.

I use a diamond hone 150mm X 50mm to hone HSS knives in the block. The block is held steady by raising a piece of timber on the thicknessing bed until it meets the,cutter block. I think it's important not to rest the hone on the cutter block behind the knives as this wears a flat on the block over time.
Both beds of my planer can be lowered to make the job easy

That’s the lovely thing, you use it with the blades on the machine, it’s not a regrind, it literally is a hone (unlike just about every other time someone mentions honing when they mean grinding). So you can touch up the edge in situ

Aidan
I saw this comment, and thought I would give it a go. Crikey! Instant improvement! I can keep my new set of blades in their box for another year at least, so thank you for the tip. I just tickled them with 3 or 4 swipes each, but it made all the difference.

Back