Planer Thicknesser, Bandsaw and Lathe purchase advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joel4mo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Quit a full time job in January in order to do my own thing. Busy year considering the obvious but due to be quiet for the next 2/3 months. We predominantly build props so traditional machinery isn't often needed but I've now not got any access and starting to get itchy feet.

With that in mind I want need the following so I can build some nice stuff.

A planer/thicknesser: Been looking at the iTECH 260S, iTECH300C, Axminster AT260Spiral, Sheppach Plana (3.1 or 4.1) No need for anything wider, I have no 3ph though.

A bandsaw: No idea, will mainly be used firstly to re-saw a huge load of 40mm thick BAW I have into some chair backs and the like. Preferably free standing.

A lathe: Coronet Herald HD is the only one ive seriously considered. Mainly bowls, no need for long spindle capacity.

I am budgeting £4-5k on the above, maybe more if I am sold on something. I could trawl eBay and buy used but I am putting this stuff through the company so need full paperwork. I am also a fan of low maintenance so would rather go new, we seldom have time to build nice stuff let alone fix/repair machinery.

Any thoughts appreciated.

All the best

Planer thicknesser, I have an older Scheppach its pretty good, but setting knives a bit of a pain.
I would try to go with indexed knives or a spiral block.
I recently upgraded to a silent power from Hammer and its so quiet and smooth. ( does need a little adjustment for snipe though, a bit annoying at the price) .

For bandsaw, get a nice big one. Its all about the guides the fence and ease of access to the controls.
I have a scheppach basato 3, its OK with thinner blades but let down by poor handles guides and fence with awkward access to the lower guides.
I am really liking the Laguna bandsaws and they have a good reputation. Of course some good old green machines can prove excellent bargains like wadkins and startrites etc.

Lathes. Can't help I only have a small one and even that scares the hell out of me. I have yet to get confidence with turning.

Ollie

I'd suggest buying the biggest you can run on 1 pH.

Especially the bandsaw.

The waa a nice jet one on the bay recently.

Cheers James

Appreciate the replies lads.

P/T: Have settled on either the iTECH 300C Spiral OR Sedgwick MBS Spiral. With the exception of the slightly larger motor on the Sedgwick, any thoughts on justifying the nearly £3k difference?

Bandswaw: S+S did have the Startrite 403 for sale but have superseded it with the iTech BS400. There is the Laguna 14/BX with a far superior motor. Can't see myself needing the 400mm height, does the bigger motor win the argument?

Lathe: Coronet Herald ordered, hopefully it arrives faster than the 40 day quoted lead time.

Thanks all

The Sedgwick MB used to be a superb machine, really nicely built and was a ‘proper’ industrial machine that held its value like a limpet. The new MB, which has been redesigned I’m not so sure about. I haven’t had my hands on one yet, I could be wrong but it looks to have been ‘value engineered‘ and the solid casting shell that enclosed the tables and thicknesser seem to have been replaced by a fabrication.

If you asked me before they changed it (sometime I believe in 2019) I’d have said it’s absolutely no contest, get the Sedgwick.

I would recommend saving a lump of cash and find a secondhand Sedgwick. I would always choose a Tersa block over the Spiral.

Although I'd love for these machines to be constantly running, the dream is to be flat out busy with our normal work and in reality they'll be rarely on. Mind explains what gives the Tersa block the edge over a spiral block pease?

Re bandsaws - I’m on the hunt too. Stock is a bit of a challenge everywhere.

The Laguna 14bx and 14/12 are at the top of my list (need to resaw to about 300mm) and the Record Sabre 450 is up there too...

But stock is the issue. Can’t find any of those in stock anywhere.

The biggest problem I’ve found / helped people with on PTs is the surfacing tables going out of alignment and producing a taper. The usual cause is that fabricated casings, with lift up tables often haven’t been designed by wood workers. They therefore flex and allow the tables to go out of coplaner when a big lump of stuff is placed (dropped) on the infeed table. The result is hours of setting them back up......only to go out again after a short period. This is why I’m a little sceptical about the new design of the Sedgwick. The Sedgwick has a proper cast iron fence. I don’t have many photos of the gubbins of the original Sedgwick, but heres one I serviced recently and converted to single phase.
3523D762-E3FE-4347-9A7D-F633FD259DA7.jpeg

They have two motors, one driving the spindle and another through a reduction gear box the power feed. Tables and thicknesser table are easy to setup, and more importantly stay rock solid where you set them.

Last edited:
A Tersa block has IMO numerous advantages, and no disadvantages. Changing the blades is a literally seconds. No setting, security of knowing that they will not come out, no fiddly screws to undo or tighten. I use M+ blades which last for a very long time, have a shallow grind which is like a York set in a plane and therefore I don’t get tear out. I have a 4 knife block, and it’s not noisy. You can setup your block with a variety of different blades all at the same time. With a 12” (MB) you can have the first 4” with carbide blades if you want, then say 4” of HSS for a superb finish and then 4” of Chrome for an initial pass on dirty or rough sawn stuff.
If you get a chip in a blade, 30 seconds later you’ve adjusted the blades to stop a tram line appearing and saved the blades.

Spiral bock.....well, just change a few cutters after milling a few lengths of resinous stuff......in a place that’s difficult to access surrounded by sharp blades. If you’ve changed spindle moulder knicker blades you will know what I mean. You have to clean the resin off for the new / rotated cutter to seat properly. Small screws, (after cleaning out the heads of resin) inevitably dropped into the machine and then lost in the shavings. Tightening the screws and being confident if you’ve not on your own that they have been tightened properly. A loose cutter is going to ruin your day.
Finally if you change a cutter or have to rotate it due to a nick, you will have a tram line unless you rotate / change all the cutters. The new edge will be slightly higher than the used blades.

Hi all,

Quit a full time job in January in order to do my own thing. Busy year considering the obvious but due to be quiet for the next 2/3 months. We predominantly build props so traditional machinery isn't often needed but I've now not got any access and starting to get itchy feet.

With that in mind I want need the following so I can build some nice stuff.

A planer/thicknesser: Been looking at the iTECH 260S, iTECH300C, Axminster AT260Spiral, Sheppach Plana (3.1 or 4.1) No need for anything wider, I have no 3ph though.

A bandsaw: No idea, will mainly be used firstly to re-saw a huge load of 40mm thick BAW I have into some chair backs and the like. Preferably free standing.

A lathe: Coronet Herald HD is the only one ive seriously considered. Mainly bowls, no need for long spindle capacity.

I am budgeting £4-5k on the above, maybe more if I am sold on something. I could trawl eBay and buy used but I am putting this stuff through the company so need full paperwork. I am also a fan of low maintenance so would rather go new, we seldom have time to build nice stuff let alone fix/repair machinery.

Any thoughts appreciated.

All the best
Hi Joel,
Was in in similar dilemma a few years back and in the end went Axminster PT with spiral head and the industrial bandsaw, bandsaw got lucky as they had a deal on one that had been returned after a couple of weeks and didn't bother me about a few scratches caused from transit.
The PT is great, i have had no issues with mine at all and after 18 months of use i have just turned the cutters for the 1st time. I do get to use a Hammer at work and to be honest imho the spiral block leaves a far superior finish to the blades on the Hammer, did visit the Felder/Hammer showroom when i was looking as it was what i originally wanted and played with there version with the spiral head which left an exceptional finish and the N440 bandsaw was great too. Only issue i have with the Axi PT is if you are cutting veneers you will need to make yourself a sled as i think its minimum height of cut is either 2.5 or 3mm.
With the bandsaw I only buy RS timber now as both machines give me the capacity to re saw etc. You will however need a 16amp power supply
hope this helps, and if we are ever allowed out again if you want to see what both machines can do your welcome to come and take a look
Sean.

Thanks to @Mooose I have decided on the Laguna unless anyone feels like persuading me otherwise. Just got to find stock now....

I am down to two choices for the P/T. Sedgwick PT260 or Sedgwick MBT Tersa 308. I think I am correct in thinking both have fixed tables, so no issue with switching out/alignment. The slightly wider capacity has no relevance at the moment, may never, so it comes down to blades mainly. Id rather the easier Tersa set-up, but does it justify the price difference (£2000).

Thanks again to everyone who has posted.

Love my Laguna 14/12 and wouldn’t hesitate to go Laguna again.

I looked at the Laguna at Tewkesbury Saw and their pricing was competitive with Yandles at the time. They might be worth a call.

Encouragement from here, a few Youtube videos and we now have ours on order. Biven Machinery had a 14BX in stock and its now on its way to us.

I about to press the button on the P/T from S+S. Anyone have a strong opinion on the Sedgwick MBT over the Sedgwick PT. Tersa block justify the £2k difference?

Thanks to everyone who has contributed, legends.

Been following this topic as I was in 2 minds about whether to get an Axminster or Laguna Bandsaw. Went for the Laguna 14BX from Biven Machinery which unfortunately is on back order because joel4mo got there first!! :LOL:

Been following this topic as I was in 2 minds about whether to get an Axminster or Laguna Bandsaw. Went for the Laguna 14BX from Biven Machinery which unfortunately is on back order because joel4mo got there first!! :LOL:
Sorry. Charnwood are the company dispatching so you may have luck there? Not sure how Biven, Charnwood and Laguna are all connected but it's arriving Monday, so far quicker than the quoted times online.

Just for giggles, a quick test to see how rigid the frame of the bandsaw saw is! Use a piece of wood properly squared off at the bottom, or a level or anything thats straight with a square end. With the blade slack, no tension mark on the stick where the front of the top cabinet is with the stick resting on the table. Now put the widest Blade that the saw will take, a 3/4” for a 14BX as an example, and crank it up to the marked tension on the bandsaw and repeat the measurement. There should be almost no movement, or nod in the saw. If there is a few mm of movement, in my opinion the saw frame can’t tension the blade properly as the frame is acting as a spring. The old iron bandsaws have no issue in passing this quick simple test.

Last edited:
My 14bx arrived this morning from Grovewood Machines in Basingstoke. Very good and friendly service and a better price that I found elsewhere.

Haven't cut anything yet, but most of the setup is done. Lovely machine and looks great next to my Laguna table saw

Latest posts

Back