Planer/thicknesser advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why but second hand?
If a newbie has never used a machine before would it not be better buying new and getting the supplier to instruct on how to use the machine.?
A couple of companies spring to mind.
That way they know the machine will work. It has a guarantee and he knows how to use it.

Why but second hand?
If a newbie has never used a machine before would it not be better buying new and getting the supplier to instruct on how to use the machine.?
A couple of companies spring to mind.
That way they know the machine will work. It has a guarantee and he knows how to use it.
Would be considerably cheaper to buy second hand and pay for a course on using it!

I had the same dillemer myself over choosing a P/T. The solidity and vibration damping you'ld get with the older industrial quality stuff like those mentioned earlier in this thread appealed to me but I didn't want to attempt a refurb myself without the right equipment/facilities. Opting for one that had already been refurbed was considered and I did approach a chap who was advertising Wadkin stuff but all the stuff I liked he'd already sold and he didn't know when he could get more. Similar to the newer offerings that are affected by supply line issues the older stuff is/has now been in higher demand and as such are harder to find and if you factor in concerns such as warranties (or the lack of them), whether a refurb has hidden a flaw or simply not exposed one and the almost parity on price with newer equipment the choice for me became easier. I opted for the iTech 260 with the spiral cutter block. I've not had it very long and it's my first p/t so I'm still "familiarizing" myself with it but I'm not regretting my choice. I do see , just from the pictures earlier in this thread, the difference in quality (in particular with the fence) compared to older equipment but one of my personal prime requirements was for a machine that wasn't stupidly noisy and in this respect the iTech delivers in spades (at least compared to the cheap bench top jointer I used to use). My chip extractor makes far more noise than this does and having fabricated a base to wheel it about it's easy to move it to where I want it. It's left a lovely finish on everything I've fed through it so far,the dro seems quite accurate,chip collection is reasonable and my small extractor can easily cope so it pretty much ticks all the boxes for me.

My experience if it helps.

I bought an Axminster Trade AT106pt new about 5 years ago to use in my joinery business as I needed a PT quickly. I didn't really expect much of it as I was used to a big old Wadkin and the Axi seemed a bit of a toy. I was pleasantly surprised how well it performed, it did need new bearings after about 3 years but it did get a lot of use.

I recently upgraded to an old Sedgwick MB, it's rock solid, weighs 380kg. It took a bit of fiddling with to get set up and the dust collection isn't great but it is a joy to use.

To sum it up from my experience the cheaper, smaller ones should do all you need (although you can get bad ones). If you buy new you get modern features and a guarantee.

The big old ones are nice but are not as practical and can need a bit of attention.

Nothing you probably don't already know!

A quick Google shows that 90% of new planer thicknessers are out of stock.
Just show
Our reliance on Chinese deliveries
And someone must be buying them....
Or possibly on a JIT delivery but unlikely?

I had the same dillemer myself over choosing a P/T. The solidity and vibration damping you'ld get with the older industrial quality stuff like those mentioned earlier in this thread appealed to me but I didn't want to attempt a refurb myself without the right equipment/facilities. Opting for one that had already been refurbed was considered and I did approach a chap who was advertising Wadkin stuff but all the stuff I liked he'd already sold and he didn't know when he could get more. Similar to the newer offerings that are affected by supply line issues the older stuff is/has now been in higher demand and as such are harder to find and if you factor in concerns such as warranties (or the lack of them), whether a refurb has hidden a flaw or simply not exposed one and the almost parity on price with newer equipment the choice for me became easier. I opted for the iTech 260 with the spiral cutter block. I've not had it very long and it's my first p/t so I'm still "familiarizing" myself with it but I'm not regretting my choice. I do see , just from the pictures earlier in this thread, the difference in quality (in particular with the fence) compared to older equipment but one of my personal prime requirements was for a machine that wasn't stupidly noisy and in this respect the iTech delivers in spades (at least compared to the cheap bench top jointer I used to use). My chip extractor makes far more noise than this does and having fabricated a base to wheel it about it's easy to move it to where I want it. It's left a lovely finish on everything I've fed through it so far,the dro seems quite accurate,chip collection is reasonable and my small extractor can easily cope so it pretty much ticks all the boxes for me.

Took a look at the i tech and have to say for the money it looks ideal.
Do you know who actually owns i tech ?
I couldn't find that information

iTech is just the branding Scott & Sargeant put on their Chinese imported machines. You will see the same machines but in different colours from Axminster, Sip, Holzman etc. There are sometimes slight differences with some parts but they are basically the same machines.

The only Holzman's I found looked like they had independently adjustable tables but I agree the Axi is very similar but not quite as much as the scheppach offering:
Axi pt.png
sceppach pt.png
itech pt.png

The only Holzman's I found looked like they had independently adjustable tables but I agree the Axi is very similar but not quite as much as the scheppach offering:
View attachment 99958View attachment 99959View attachment 99960
To be fair I have looked at these 3 and they do seem all suitable for the space I have. I would like to see some of these in action especially the Axminster and the iTech. As a newbie it can be quite daunting, but I really want to have wood that is planed and square. Especially as I want to use better quality wood!

Thank you for your input everyone, I really appreciate it!

The older Scheppach machines are bulletproof. I have a HMS 260 for thirty years and the steel tables have taken everything I can throw at them. One great advantage are the rubber rollers which let you get down to 3 mm for making inlay lines etc. For a few hundred pounds second hand you can't go wrong.

iTech is just the branding Scott & Sargeant put on their Chinese imported machines. You will see the same machines but in different colours from Axminster, Sip, Holzman etc. There are sometimes slight differences with some parts but they are basically the same machines.
iTECH products are produced and sourced from reliable sources worldwide from many countries: China, Taiwan, Italy, Czech, Japan and even the UK. The aim is to offer affordable, good quality machines and accessories. We actively encourage feed back from clients on how to improve the products. As an example, because of feedback the iTECH cyclones now come assembled, the frame design has also been modified in order to allow people to swap sides for the vacuum gauge making it easier to fit different into different workshop layouts.

DeWalt 10 x 6 - great machine that punched above its weight but ate several rubber outfeed rollers
Probably that machine. My DeWalt 10 x 6 (DW 1150 45+ years old) has just needed it’s first rubber infeed roller, I have it apart so I decided to change the rubber outfeed roller and keep the old one as a spare, I’m waiting on delivery now.

The older Scheppach machines are bulletproof. I have a HMS 260 for thirty years and the steel tables have taken everything I can throw at them. One great advantage are the rubber rollers which let you get down to 3 mm for making inlay lines etc. For a few hundred pounds second hand you can't go wrong.
I've had a Scheppach for 12-15 years and it has done everything I've ever needed as a hobby woodworker. It'll handle wider and thicker stock than I've ever needed to machine, and it has a pair of wheels built into the stand that allow me to move easily and get it snugged into a corner of my 16'x8' workshop when not needed. If I'd had the space for something bigger that could be left in place it would have been nice, but as it is I wouldn't be without it.
I've found that setting the knives up after grinding is a bit of a faff, but that's common to many machines I gather.

I bought a really cheap crappy new Excel PT which is the same generic Chinese model that most low end brands use (Erbauer, Titan, Zipper etc) and it stopped working on the first day (the on switch stopped working). It was really pathetic quality to be honest, I think my tastes are slightly spoilt because I have used a top of the range Felder in a professional shop but I sent it back and am now going to collect a Kity 636 on Thursday. My shop is only 11x12 and I have a pretty low budget hence the need for a smaller PT. Am earlier post mentioning they had a Kity 636, can you tell me.more about your experience and what is it like setting it up to be coplanar? When looking at the cheap excel machine to make it coplanar I could not see any adjustments on the indeed table to make it coplanar to the outfeed such is the quality and thought gone into the machine. Sorry appreciate you all are talking about considerably better machines I'd love to be able to afford but would be glad of any thoughts on the Kity.

I have an old Sedgwick MB. It's loud and it's heavy but it does the job it was designed to do superbly, and there is no faffing involved in moving between planer and thicknesser - you either put your timber on the top or underneath, that simple. I would definitely go second hand - you get so much more bang for your buck.

Back