Planer/T advice requested

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charley":61q512mr said:
Instead of just photos is there any chance you can video it? :lol:
Yeah, and if there's any spare tape maybe you could do us an alien autopsy too...? :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Those are all good sled ideas. I'm looking forward to seeing the piccy of Andy's when it's completed.

What prompted the question is that it's quite easy to pick up off-cuts that are about 3 or 4 cm thick and 12 to 15 cm wide. Those are too thick for most of my scrolling; I can split them on the bandsaw, but it does give an uneven finish. Generally speaking, the lengths that I work with are around 25 cm at most, more likely 15 cm. This would make them rather tricky to feed through a thicknesser, hence the need for a sled.

Ideally, I'd like to have a sled that I could dedicate to the purpose and re-use rather than having a disposable one. I'm turning over in my mind the concept of a sliding fence that could be locked to secure the timber in position. The problem would be locking the fence without leaving any nuts or suchlike exposed to the cutters. I'll keep on pondering :) .

Gill

Gill":2vwit58x said:
Ideally, I'd like to have a sled that I could dedicate to the purpose and re-use rather than having a disposable one. I'm turning over in my mind the concept of a sliding fence that could be locked to secure the timber in position. The problem would be locking the fence without leaving any nuts or suchlike exposed to the cutters. I'll keep on pondering :) .

Gill

Gill Can you try a simple piece of melamine sheet (maybe waxed on underside) bond some fine abrasive paper to the top surface and place a very slim fence (bonded) along the front edge to prevent the thin wood from shooting forward, it works for me.

Also see here if the link is still live: http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/wvt095.asp

You need a scaled down version obviously.

Thanks for that link, Chas. It's exactly the ingenious solution I've been looking for :) :) :). I can see one of those sleds appearing in a workshop near me very soon!

Gill

Steve M wrote
We had hail this afternoon

Steve, knowing your penchant for exotic spelling,

does this mean you had bad weather or....

you had an unexpected postal delivery? :-k

TX

Still having problems with my Planer/Thicknesser set up.

After numerous resetting yesterday of the equipment I finally had to reverse the blades owing to bluntness after only dressing around 48 ft of 3" sycamore.

I have in the past run hundreds of feet of softwood (in fact nearly a year) on previous blades and very surprised at this situation.

The blades are resharpenable and there are no nicks to the edge.

Do you think I could refresh the edge and resharpen just by running the blades along a diamond sharpener or must I send the blades away for resharpening professionally?

Gill":271bliid said:
Thanks for that link, Chas. It's exactly the ingenious solution I've been looking for :) :) :). I can see one of those sleds appearing in a workshop near me very soon!

Gill

Glad to help a member of The Three Counties,
With a school motto of Carpe Deum and a College one of Taurus Abundum I never know what value my random thoughts may be.

Devon,

Honing with a small diamond dresser is a good way to maintain blades between grindings and should make them last longer. However, I am very surprised that a small amount of sycamore should have had the effect of blunting the blades so much - was the wood dirty (eg with sandy particles on it?).

If you finish plane by hand, you will be less concerned with getting a great finish off your P/T and you can postpone blade grinding for ages!

waterhead37":tincw5ez said:
Devon,

Honing with a small diamond dresser is a good way to maintain blades between grindings and should make them last longer. However, I am very surprised that a small amount of sycamore should have had the effect of blunting the blades so much - was the wood dirty (eg with sandy particles on it?).

If you finish plane by hand, you will be less concerned with getting a great finish off your P/T and you can postpone blade grinding for ages!

No that particular length of timber has been a real pain in the @rse, it stalled my tablesaw when ripping and also stalled my bandsaw when resawing after. Then it blunted my p/t blades.

Do you think it safe to use on my new chisels? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Chas...Thanks for that link to Taunton, very useful

Gill
I'd be interested to see your final solution for the circa 3mm thicknessing... something I've been hoping to do but never made it to grasping the nettle... might have something to do with the load of kelter deposited on the combi pt/ts

DW honing with a stone should fix them for now. I have run loads of hardwood through mine without any issues. Are you sure that there is no contamination on the wood?

Back