Planer switching off -

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flintandsteel

Established Member
Reaction score
I've an old Elektra Beckum planer thicknesser
Runs great, generally.
Recently taken to switching off mid plane.
I think this is probably a motor temperature issue.
Is there a safety cut out fitted?
Give it a minute or several and it will start just fine.
Just a hassle when you're a lot of timber to process.

I found an old tread on almost the same issue
Elektra Beckum Motor Protection Reset
Is this a sign of a potentially failing thermal unit?

Could the mechanism be stiff, causing a thermal switch to do its job? Ditto blocked air vents/damaged fan. Check for a mechanical issue first.

If you’re satisfied it’s a nuisance trip, you should find the thermal switch wired in series with the contactor coil in the starter - two extra wires going to the motor. If it has an external resettable trip it should be obvious.

It could also be the contactor or overload failing - make it demonstrate the fault, then see what’s open circuit.

Not that long since I overhauled it. Only started happening in the last week or 2.
It it trips it can be restarted immediately.
The workshop has a door at each end so stood it in the draft a while.
Better but still trips after a few minutes.
! Ah ha !! Now, i was thinking the blades might need changing. QED strain on motor & overheat?
Certainly have to take lighter passes on the timber.
What you reckon ?

Don't appear to be any extra wires there. Just in and out of the box under the motor.
Thermal cutout on motor?
Turned it on its side and got the vac to suck then blow around the motor. Not that there was much in the way of obvious dust there.
Report back after a test
So it runs longer when it's cooled down a bit but still cuts off
However if you switch it back on immediately it will start and run a while longer.
Realised there wasn't much ventilation for it under there so put in 3 air vent holes on the back plate to make best use of the passing breeze.
Must be a thermal safety on the motor then?

Last edited:
Could do with a few pics of the starter and wiring. A thermal safety switch trip won’t normally restart immediately like that. Perhaps your starter is failing.

Back