planer stuff for 9fingers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kostello

Established Member
Reaction score
so i've got some pictures of the gauge............

basically the central part of the gauge sits on top of the blade so it sits at the correct height from the block.....the blade sits up about 1.5mm from the cutter block

hope this helps

Attachments

• image001small.jpg
    image001small.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 273
  • image002small.jpg
    image002small.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 273
  • planer jig.jpg
    planer jig.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 273
Excellent! Thank you very much indeed Sasha.
So the black bar simply joins the two jig ends together - now I understand

To anyone wondering about the background to this.....

Sasha is selling a very similar planer to mine here for-sale-12-1-2-thicknesser-t56392.html and showed a picture of a setting gauge. I don't have one of these gauges and asked for some further details so I could make a copy.

Cheers

Bob :ho2

My Jet thicknesser came without its setting gauge, and the pic in the instructions looked exactly like that one, although with only one contact. I made up a gauge out of MDF, which I figured would be kinder to the blade, and probably last for a reasonable time. So far, so good.

I've always understood that planer knives should be set referenced to the out-feed table. So, unless the planer block is known to be precisely level with the out-feed table, how can the gauge be accurate?

Bob:

Here are some do-it-yourself gauges that use a dial indicator. I get the knives on my 18" thicknesser to within .001" with the cutter head gauge, while I set the head, feed rollers, and chip breaker with the three-footed one. Full article is here:
http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/Gettin ... mance.ashx

Videos are here:
http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/Jointe ... ideos.ashx

Roger: You are correct. To that, however, you align the tables and head (not knives) first. After you do that, you can set the knives to the head.

Kirk

Latest posts

Back