planer speed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Does anybody know the optimum speed for a surface planer?I have a multico 6" planer but I do not feel it is as good as it could be.It has a 3/4 hp motor which spins the cutter head at about 4750 rpm but I seem to get a lot of chatter, even with a light cut

Hi Jaymar
I have the Jet 60A, which spins at 5500rpm I think. The motor is 1.5 hp.
I am not claiming any particular knowledge here at all, (so I hope others will chip in too), but I'd have thought "chatter" was less do to with speed and more to do with power, blade sharpness, outfeed table setup, or blade adjustment.
If you're planing tough hardwoods, I imagine a lower powered machine may struggle to cut cleanly, compared to a higher powered machine - assuming both are using very sharp blades.
It's possible technique may be contributing too. Are you making smooth continuous-pressured passes through the machine?

Cheers
Aragorn

I do think the low power may have a bearing but perhaps I should fit some sharpened blades before I try another motor.

Latest posts

Back