Planer outfeed table - chamfer the lip?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadeye

Established Member
Reaction score
Curiousity really.
I've invested a bit of time sorting out my planer tables to be coplanar etc.
I've also followed the advice to set the outfeed so that it "carries" a flat piece of wood a few mm - i.e. the o/feed is just a smidge below the highest point described by the knife.
I'd understood this to be done to avoid the leading edge of the board snagging on the o/feed edge.
Couldn't the same be achieved by setting the o/f exactly coplanar with the knife and chamfering the very front edge of the table slightly?
As I say, all set up now, but just wondered.

It's less about bumping into the outfeed table and more about the workpiece "climbing" up the table and ending up with a bowed board every time, it'll do that if it's set-up incorrectly regardless of whether you take a chamfer off the front of it. If you had the table exactly in line with the knife this would only line up with the very bottom of the cut, and as you're aware the planer gives radial cuts which create small high-points like on a washboard, in theory, the outfeed table should line up with these high points rather than the apex of the knife.

Back