Planer identification and history?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickDReed

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone have any knowledge of this machine? I've been looking online and there is very limited info.

Would be great if someone knows something.
Screenshot_20211020_204844.jpg
Screenshot_20211020_204826.jpg

I assume you will have found the article on Lathes.co.uk about the Sherwood lathe made by the same company Might be worth asking them to see if they have any more info?

They might like to get a picture of it for their records. They do say "the Company was believed to have been founded just after the end of WW2, they were little known outside their local area and appear to have been almost a cottage industry with a limited though well-made range of products" so it could be very rare.

I picked up a tiny I mean tiny 12" square table saw which has some casting features similar to your planer will take a better look tomorrow.

Cheers James

I picked up a tiny I mean tiny 12" square table saw which has some casting features similar to your planer will take a better look tomorrow.

Cheers James
Would be interested to see pictures if you have any James?

From memory, James Inns used to advertise in the back pages of Woodworker, probably in the 60s/70s, along with several other small makers of basic machine tools. Will have a look in my run of WWer (1939-late 80s, mostly bound. And, no, don't want to sell them yet)

From memory, James Inns used to advertise in the back pages of Woodworker, probably in the 60s/70s, along with several other small makers of basic machine tools. Will have a look in my run of WWer (1939-late 80s, mostly bound. And, no, don't want to sell them yet)

I'd be fascinated to see if you find anything.

I'm assuming this would have been part of a combination machine originally.
Yes that makes sense. I could power it with an old black and decker drill? Or in the same bunch of stuff a key cutting machine motor.

Cheers James

Finally managed to find the advertisement for James Inns. The pic is a rather bad copy from Practical Woodworking in 1970. There was something similar in Woodworker for 1978, but there's nothing later in my sources. The advert above the one for James Inns shows another manufacturer's sawbench, Reid EE. In my head, had combined the two and thought the pic was James Inns.
From the text, it doesn't sound as if they ever made a combination machine as such, but it wouldn't be difficult to put the individual units on a common base, sharing a motor, as Kity did with their Universals.

Attachments

• IMGP4988.JPG
    IMGP4988.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 10
Back