Planer Blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris

As soon as I pressed the "submit" button I knew it was in the wrong place.

Thanks for the sharpening info, now where can I get a Tormak :? :?

Waka,

I tickle them up couple times with the stone before getting them reground (unless they get badly nicked).

You could get them sharpened at least 50 times at your local saw doctors for the price of the tormek with the optional planer blade attachment. I use Tewkesbury Saw Co. - very good service.

I only had them reground only twice in 4 years although they cut mostly softwood.

ike

I use disposable blades in my Kity so don't have to worry about sharpening :D

Theseones are much better than the Kity ones.

Jason

I've sent them out for a long time. I used to use a Makita wetstone grinder (the horizontal jobby with a long knife jig) but I found that the longer the blade gets the more work it us to get an edge on (and even with a jig it still wasn't straight all the time :oops: , 12in was the absolute max.). Still hone them myself when they come back from the sharpening service, though.

I have to say I'm keen on the idea of disposables, partly because they set-up so quickly, but I don't like the price of conversions (I did try one a couple of years back) and the cost of the disposable blades is prohibitive
IMO. The advantage is quickly lost when you get a fast-set magnetic setting jig such as the Panhans.

Scrit

Back