Planer blades - how much should I pay?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeElms

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at prices for HHS blades for my Scheppach HMS 260 CI planer/thicknesser (2 of 260x18x3). There is a very wide range of prices for apparently the same thing:
Scheppach (NMA Tools): £61
Cutting Solutions: £40+pp
Woodford Tools: £12.59
Local saw doctor: (waiting for price)

How do I tell if it is worth going for the more expensive sources?

Is Woodford the cost per blade? They feel very cheap for that.

The cost of sharpening is probably almost a tenner per blade (guessed, it has been a while), so personally I would take a punt on those. If they aren't very good you haven't lost much fore than having others sharpened.

Bought a number of Tersa planner blades from Woodford, always been excellent quality and a good bit cheaper than anywhere else I’ve found. I’d take the plunge if I were you, after all, it’s not a huge investment

Go Woodford; quick delivery too !
3849546_0.jpg

The Woodford (Woodford woodworking tooling Ltd.) is for a pair of blades(!).
My local saw doctor charges about £3/blade for sharpening.

That sounds cheap but I am on Tersa blades for my planer so I may have misremembered getting some done. Either way though, for that price I would try a set.

Another plus for Woodford from me.
The 9" blades I have had are excellent and a good saving s elsewhere. Website is awful though.

The Woodford ones are fine, I think the Appleby ones are slightly better. There is no way I would buy the nma ones at that price unless they are carbide !!

Ollie

I have been using the Woodford blades for quite a while now for my Sheppach HMS260. I have always found them to be ok, however, the last pair I bought I decided to put a straight edge on the blade itself and could detect a discernible gap along the cutting edge. I also resharpen these blades using various homemade jigs (which I need to improve slightly)

Back