Planer blades get dull very quickly

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodworkingMK

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have Metabo HC 260 and had installed brand new german original HSS blades. I worked with them 2-3 years without any sharpening, they hold good. I have planed soft and hard wood also.

A month ago I brought them for sharpening, after installing they got fairly dull in one day (planing oak), and got nicks in one day.

Yesterday I brought them again for sharpening, and they got few tiny nicks after few passes of oak.

I am puzzled, how can that be, I don't think that's normal.

I asked the saw doctor if they use cooling while sharpening, they said yes, they are professional shop. I don't know if they do something wrong, or the blade is the problem. How can the blade had so many years life, and after one sharpening it got so bad. The blades are not disposable.

Any suggestions?

Nick's are different to overall wear I suppose. The current blades in my Metabo are sharp but I have two big nicks in them as a result of hitting burried stuff in some Beech...

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

I always hone the blades, in the machine, with a diamond flat stone. Usually about 3x before sending for sharpening.

It sounds like the angle at which they have been sharpened is too acute. Most machine manuals will highlight the recommended sharpening angle.

Similar thought came to my mind...

deema":27vxel11 said:
It sounds like the angle at which they have been sharpened is too acute. Most machine manuals will highlight the recommended sharpening angle.

Back