Planer blade size

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jo-53

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have nearly finished replacing the broken parts on my wadkin boas 12x7, and have just got to set the cutters. The set that were destroyed were 30mm x310mm x3mm, my spare set are 25 x310 x3 , which originally came with the machine. I found that the pair on the machine I have taken the parts from are only 20mm (310mm x3mm) and marked stanley, they seem quite thin for the slot and I am wondering if they are safe to use?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Jo

If the original blades should be 30 mm high then the 20 mm ones have been reground many times are probably not very safe. The back (bottom) of the knife will most likely be close to the bottom of the wedge if not part way up it.

New 310x30x3 from stock :wink:

Thanks. My thoughts are that the blades are not correct for this machine, they don't appear to be old. But I suppose old or new, the wrong size is the wrong size.

Jo

jo-53":liojpn47 said:
Thanks. My thoughts are that the blades are not correct for this machine, they don't appear to be old. But I suppose old or new, the wrong size is the wrong size.

Jo

All I will say Jo is with planing machines:
Don't take chances, because you'll likely only get one; the last chance. :wink:

My experience with the older machines Mick is that the locking screws push downward slightly against the bar that secures the knife, beyond a certain point the bar will begin to tilt under the knife.
At that point the knives should have been replace earlier!

Roy.

Back