planer blade sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know of anywhere that could sharpen me a set of planer blades in double quick time. I could do with them back for Friday- I dont know what standard turnaround is! In Leeds would be ideal so I could drop them off, or by post...

hi mark
have you tried les kay power tools ,they don't do them themselves but when i asked about saw blade,s the time taken depends on when you drop them off as the sharpening co i think only collects and drops off twice a week
hth dave

great video Steve. On this occasion, I think that they are beyond my fettling, but certainly an idea for the future.

If they have some divots in them you can off set one blade to accommodate the others. More than likely you will have to push in one blade about 3mm and that will get you out of trouble.
If your blades have no nicks and you just need to hone them you don't need to take them out of the block. Just let your infeed table down maybe between 15mm and 20mm. Wrap a bit of masking tape around one end of your sharpening stone so it won't mar your infeed table. Turn your block until the blade meets your stone at the angle you want and lock your block in place with a timber wedge on the end. Lube your stone and rub it well over blade. Do this with the remaining blades and your good to go. Saves having to take out your blades when they just need a little rub.
Best to rub the back of blade aswell to take burr off it. Make sure you keep the stone flat to the blade. I usually do this with a slip stone..it has a bit more control.

Hi Marcos

I know it's a bit late now nut I use Leitz Tooling at Armley. They are very obliging. Check them out for next time. Tel 0113 242 0567.

They were the only place I could find that could sharpen my unusually profiled Felder triple chip saw blade.

Chris

Back