planer blade setting jigs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumberman

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been considering buying a pair of jigs to set the blades accurately on my Metabo 260 P/L

Axminster and Dakota make which appear to be almost identical. The axminster ones are priced at £18, and Dakota are priced at
£39.99. Has anyone had any experience of either of these jigs, obviously the Dakota one would think are better quality, but would the cheaper ones have the same desired effect.

I would be grateful if anyone can give me any info on either of these products.

Harry.

Ps

I don't feel confident in setting the blades by the ruler method, can't see how you can keep the blades in a stable position .

I cant comment on the jigs, but this is the first time that I have heard of the expectation of Dakota products being of higher quality than anything else. :)

I bought the axminster blades jig a few weeks ago.

In the end I didn't use it, having spent ages looking at trying to find the best way to use, and having limited time.

What I did in the end was this.

1. Take one very long Maun straight edge, though of course other varieties are available.
2. Trued up the beds first, with the technical adjuster in final stage (rubber mallet)
3. Then, using the straight edge, put a feeler blade under the outfeed end of the planer, on a low feeler blade at 0.15mm
4. Then set blades to just touch the edge of the stright edge, that way tiny bit proud of outfeed table.
5. Did both sides, checked output.
6. Against the straight edge, got length out a HMS 260ci to within 0.1mm over a meter
7. Rest, and open a real ale.

So I didn't really use in the end.

I have seen somthing on youtube about a gauge that sets so level with the outfit table. They are pricey as some kind of dial guage.

Having got back to woodworking after a break then I have found that spending more time getting the machines/tools perfect saves on time on the long run.

Thouhg if anyone has any tips how to level the top of TS2010 saw then shout.

The straight edge was well worth it, couldnt do with out now.

Is it this set you're referring to? I bought it a few years ago hoping it would speed up changing my planer blades. Unfortunately, I couldn't get on with them at all, wasn't getting accurate results. Not sure if I was using them incorrectly or not but quickly gave up and went back to the old fashion way.

I picked up a "Oneway Multi Gauge" from the States not long after and think that's brilliant. I've been back in the workshop again recently (first time in about 5 years) and the first thing I did was setup all my machines again. Was dreading doing the planer blades but was pleasantly surprised how quickly it went using the Oneway. Forgot how much more accurate it is.

Anyway, back to the Dakota jig. It looks VERY similar to Axminster's but before you splash out on one. I think I've still got mine in the workshop somewhere. If you PM me your address I can send you mine to see if you can make better use of them. Won't be able to post them until next week though.

Charlie Woody":10lfjw6o said:
Charley":10lfjw6o said:
I picked up a "Oneway Multi Gauge" from the States

Are these available in the UK or only from USA?

As far as I know they're not available in the UK, that was the case 5 years ago anyway. Have just done a quick search and nothing popped up in the UK. IIRC I ordered mine from WoodCraft.

Charley":31cohktu said:
Charlie Woody":31cohktu said:
Charley":31cohktu said:
I picked up a "Oneway Multi Gauge" from the States

Are these available in the UK or only from USA?

As far as I know they're not available in the UK, that was the case 5 years ago anyway. Have just done a quick search and nothing popped up in the UK. IIRC I ordered mine from WoodCraft.

Ok thanks

The oneway multi-gauge is sold in the uk by toolpost, it sells for about £85-£90 when i last inquired about one.

Than you for your help and comments everyone.

Also thank you for your kind offer Charlie I will send you a PM soon.

The one way multi gauge is available in the UK and can be obtained at sacheto .com but comes with a heafty price tag
of £107. not sure how you would use it looks more complicated than the Dakota pair of jigs.

Harry.

I did a comparative reviewfor BW between the Dakota and another brand, the name of which escapes me. It wasn't Axi.
I found that both were quite well built, and both could produce good results. However it is not necessarily EASY to get them to do a good job.
I've gone back to doing it the trad way with a straight block of wood.
S

I ordered a set 4 odd years back from a well known company that does have a little bit of a problem working with customers. Delivery date went no jigs anyway reordered and then two sets turned up. (back then £19.00 a set ) anyway I find them soooo easy and accurate to use. I have even given up checking by using the drag test. That's my opinion.

I was able to ascertain that the blade holder on my Axminster table saw could not cope with one of these jigs, the space was not spacious enough to get the jig in position, so I still use an ali ruler propped up with wooden supports either side and turn the roller until I get only the 5mm slide of ruler along planer top.

Latest posts

Back