Planer Accident

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cornishjoinery":3byrnuh1 said:
.........The guy comparing it to driving...not a great point mate.....you need to do driving lessons and then pass a test
And having had your lessons/passed your test you can go out and buy a vehicle that can leave you wrapped around any piece of street furniture you'd care to name.

In fact a few years ago one of the highest accident rates was amongst 'older' bikers who having passed their test bought stupidly high powered machines and preceded to mate with the scenery.

The 'passed a test' argument holds no water.

cornishjoinery":unwpaqxi said:
You guys are not getting my point. Doesnt anyone else think its scary how anyone of any age can walk into B&Q or aldi/lidl buy a router, go home chuck a bit in (could be a raised panel bit) and chuck it straight into a peice of wood. At college we had to show we were confident in using handtools before we were even let near a power tool. Accidents happen when someone is not taught how to use something properly and in the correct way.The guy comparing it to driving...not a great point mate.....you need to do driving lessons and then pass a test

In engineering terms we call it a harm/hazard analysis.

The driving analogy is perfect.

With a power tool you can hurt yourself quite badly, but usually not fatally, it’s rare to hurt someone else but it can happen.

With a car you can make a simple mistake and kill multiple people.

If you did an analysis now you’d leave power tools alone and ban cars. However we have a historic use so the current level of training and risk balance is accepted by society.

A

Oh and regarding the actual topic...

He was using a machine on an unstable base with no guards and no push sticks... that was no accident, he intentionally exposed himself to serious harm.

Aidan

RobinBHM":2dlv2un4 said:
My wife had a serious injury using a kitchen mandoline

Ouch :shock: :shock:

They are the most hideous piece of kitchen equipment!

We have a little Deli and the wife bought one for the staff to use, took it off them almost straight away after a few minor cuts and trimmed fingernails etc, nothing serious but was only a matter of time before something nasty happened.....

Mandoline is just a table saw really. Use it in a dangerous manner and you can seriously hurt yourself, use it with proper safety equipment though and the danger is minimal.
I have a mandoline (it also juliennes, even more terrifying!) and so far I have never injured myself on it. I use the guard and accept that there will be a tiny bit of waste.

Back