Planer Accident

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This really shouldn't be an Amateur v. Pro argument. It's simply Good Practice v. Poor Practice, and that happens in home workshops and pro workshops all over the world.

Complacency is the thing that increases the chance of an accident exponentially.

These threads help us put our safety hat back on.

Its like being up a ladder thinking 'if I just reach a bit further, itll save me having to go down and move the ladder' #-o

cornishjoinery":37q9lpvf said:
This is precisely why i dont agree with cheap DIY kit being sold to anyone.
The only people using machinary should be proffessional woodworkers that have had a degree of training. Im still amazed that you can walk into homebase for example and buy a router or skillsaw.
Sockets and spanners are still sold to everyday people. Some of those people often go on and use them to repair their own car. :shock: :shock: [-X how dare these people armed with tools and a book with pictures work on a vehicle.
Dont you know cars can be killing machines, not just to the owner, if not maintained by professionals.
The cornish guy does have a point ( i think) but manufacturers cant make everything silly person proof as we all know mother nature will just create a better silly person. People just need to understand the dangers and learn safe practice.

cornishjoinery":2myh5zo1 said:
This is precisely why i dont agree with cheap DIY kit being sold to anyone.
The only people using machinary should be proffessional woodworkers that have had a degree of training. Im still amazed that you can walk into homebase for example and buy a router or skillsaw.

The same could maybe be said for driving...or leaving the house...?

And yet that doesn’t stop complacent professionals getting injured.

Or professional drivers, such as HGV drivers hitting the back of cars whilst playing online poker.

Steve Maskery":2nl0jdyq said:
This really shouldn't be an Amateur v. Pro argument. It's simply Good Practice v. Poor Practice, and that happens in home workshops and pro workshops all over the world.

This is spot on, sums it up perfectly.

In a similar vein, I'd like to see an end to cheap cameras being sold to non-professional photographers so I wouldn't have my livelihood continually threatened by hobbyists and their smartphones, tablets or beginner's outfits. The same beginner's outfits that got me started as a hobbyist and helped me learn and continually improve to a point where I was able to turn "pro"! Oh wait...

nev":3ab229kt said:
'kin silly person!
There are accidents and there are things that happen to morons. This, I suggest, is the latter.

And as for "call 999!, call an ambulance!" - get in a *&^% taxi or get a lift and leave the ambulances available for people that actually need one!

If the moron in question is a member here, can you make yourself known so I can remove you from the membership. :tool:

Can't help but think that this is an unfair comment.

The injury was one that had the potential for significant blood-loss and loss of consciousness so getting immediate medical attention by dialling 999 was absolutely the correct thing to do.

The definition of an accident is something that happens unintentionally - in this case the person was intending to plane some wood and not cut their fingers. Their method may have been dangerously flawed, but the fact remains that it was an accident.

mhannah":u3v4qvpy said:
The injury was one that had the potential for significant blood-loss and loss of consciousness so getting immediate medical attention by dialling 999 was absolutely the correct thing to do.

Significant blood loss wouldn't have really happened with that injury. Nor would he lose conciousness from the blood loss, he could've fainted from having a weak stomach and not liking the sight of blood. But it really wasn't a major injury, just a flesh wound. Unless he was on some serious blood thinners or had some underlying problem the ends of the fingers would've clotted up fairly quickly and wouldn't be life-threatening.

As I said in an earlier post, it would've been quicker for him to be driven by his wife/girlfriend to the A&E rather than wait for an ambulance to arrive and take him away. I know someone who managed to mangle all his fingers on his left hand with a tractor post knocker, drove home in the tractor, had a wash (Farmers never go anywhere without washing first :lol:) wraped up his hand and then drove all the way to the A&E 30 miles away gear changes and all.

Compared with crushed bones this is just a scratch :)

Accidents generally seem to happen because of a combination of things. For example this guys planer accident happened because he didn't have the guard set correctly and the machine shifted. If guard was set properly he would still be okay (maybe!) despite the machine moving or if machine had not moved he would still be okay despite no guard.

Warning mini rant coming up.....

People post WIP pictures on here all the time showing their unguarded table saws, please don't do this, it is not good practice. I know it is the norm on American youtube channels but there is no need for it. Yes take your guard off if you want to risk your fingers but don't post pictures of it on here making it seem like the normal thing to do, think of the inexperienced person who might copy you and lose their finger/ livelihood. It's a definite no in professional workshops for a reason.

Sorry, rant over.

It would be interesting to know how much machinery related accidents have gone up since more people now have access to the cheap machinery available and copying what they see on youtube?

Doug

Accidents are generally the end result of a sequence of minor failures. Whether the failures are inexperience, lack of training, tiredness, 'timesaving' or cutting corners, lack of attention and due care and diligence or whatever they are, serious incidents are generally the result of human error in practical method combined with failure to measure both risk and hazard adequately over a series of stages. The more stages missed then generally the more serious the potential outcome. Think plane crashes here.
We've all tripped on a kerbstone while maybe checking the phone. That's an understandable dynamic assessment of risk and hazard. We do it every time we cross the road right? Assess the risk and the hazard.We mostly get it right. But every person reading this has had a close shave at one point crossing the road. Maybe you never looked twice, maybe a driver didn't.
But choosing to juggle chainsaws while riding a unicycle through a nursery school? Maybe not an acceptable risk?
Daft point but I'm just echoing it's all about personal discipline in practical terms.
First time I used a router, I was terrified of it. F*****ng thing. Reeeeeeeeeee!!!!
But I learned to use it, used power tools all my life andtaking the fear away made it safer. I took my time and read about, had respect for its capacity to really mess my life up very quickly. All of it. My whole life. Not just a finger tip.
Starting to learn it's limits. I'm careful. I take the plug out. I try to be methodical. I make an effort to be although that is not my go to mode.

It's my duty of care to myself and indeed to my kids not to lose my finger tips to a router (for hobby use or otherwise) and be out of work or worse because I couldn't be ars** to be careful enough or I wasn't bright enough to understand I only have myself to blame for shi*e practice.
I hang off buildings on a 10mm rope every day. I'm constantly on at the guys I work with. Good practice! The first time you save time to get away with it is not what bites you, it's when you have become used to doing it like that and it replaces proper practice. That's what's deadly.

I CHOSE TO LOOK THE OTHER WAY – By Don Merrell:

I could have saved a life that day,
But I chose to look the other way.
It wasn’t that I didn’t care;
I had the time, and I was there.

But I didn’t want to seem a fool,
Or argue over a safety rule.
I knew he’d done the job before;
If I spoke up he might get sore.

The chances didn’t seem that bad;
I’d done the same, he knew I had.
So I shook my head and walked by;
He knew the risks as well as I.

He took the chance, I closed an eye;
And with that act, I let him die.
I could have saved a life that day,
But I chose to look the other way.

Now every time I see his wife,
I know I should have saved his life.
That guilt is something I must bear;
But isn’t’ something you need to share.

If you see a risk that others take
That puts their health or life at stake,
The question asked or thing you say;
Could help them live another day.

If you see a risk and walk away,
Then hope you never have to say,
“I could have saved a life that day,
But I chose to look the other way.”

You guys are not getting my point. Doesnt anyone else think its scary how anyone of any age can walk into B&Q or aldi/lidl buy a router, go home chuck a bit in (could be a raised panel bit) and chuck it straight into a peice of wood. At college we had to show we were confident in using handtools before we were even let near a power tool. Accidents happen when someone is not taught how to use something properly and in the correct way.The guy comparing it to driving...not a great point mate.....you need to do driving lessons and then pass a test

Hi, first post here. This is a horrible accident and it makes me absolutely shudder to think what my fingers would look like if I made one little mistake with my 7.5hp spiral block planer.

I really wish I could afford to hire someone to literally kick my buttocks every time I cut a safety corner whilst in a rush.

Note to self: must purchase a blade guard for table saw.

Ugh, who'd be a joiner, eh?

ModburyJoinery":3m486nz8 said:
Hi, first post here. This is a horrible accident and it makes me absolutely shudder to think what my fingers would look like if I made one little mistake with my 7.5hp spiral block planer.

Tear-out free? :)

cornishjoinery":3uqrhp5x said:
You guys are not getting my point. Doesnt anyone else think its scary how anyone of any age can walk into B&Q or aldi/lidl buy a router, go home chuck a bit in (could be a raised panel bit) and chuck it straight into a peice of wood. At college we had to show we were confident in using handtools before we were even let near a power tool. Accidents happen when someone is not taught how to use something properly and in the correct way.The guy comparing it to driving...not a great point mate.....you need to do driving lessons and then pass a test
Having training doesn't mean years of complacency won't set in.

A driving test is a test, not training. I don't believe there is any legal requirement for actual training.

There are lots of trained professionals with life changing injuries.

There are also a lot of things in life you have access to that don't require any training - power tools aren't special in this regard.

My wife had a serious injury using a kitchen mandoline - those things are dangerous. No training is compulsory.

Also, unless we've met and I didn't realise, I don't think I'm your mate :)

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Back