Planed AND treated 4x1 for climbing frame?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boswollox

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm struggling to find a supplier of 4x1 or 3x1 thats been treated, but also is smooth to the touch.

I need it to make the barriers for the top platforms of a climbing frame, simple vertical slatted fences so the kids won't fall from the platforms.

It seems all the Xx1 timber is rough sawn, whereas Xx2 is "easi-edge" (smooth to the touch so the kids won't get splinters).

I'm in Bolton, but I have a van and can travel, so if anyone knows of a supplier in the North West, that'd be great.

Or is there an alternative anyone would recommend as a fence?

Thank you!

Not a good idea to used treated, as any splinter would turn a childs' hand into a club of festering pus.
Alright, thank you for your reply :)

What would you say is a better solution? Untreated, planed 4x1 is available everywhere, so should I get that and use my own treatment? What would be good weather protection but also safe for kids? Thanks again!

That's the problem with durable timber too. As it's the hydrocarbons and phenols (natural poisons) in the heartwood which make it durable.

They also make for nasty infections when you get splinters.

Not a good idea to used treated, as any splinter would turn a childs' hand into a club of festering pus.

I think people over estimate the dangers of modern treatments.

Is TANALISED timber safe to use in children's playgrounds?
TANALISED Timber is safe to use for structures in and around children's play areas. With regard to any concerns that the children may 'chew' or 'eat' the treated timber, we have to conduct safety studies to demonstrate safe use of our products as part of their approval process. These studies have shown that the preservative within the timber would not cause harm to a child in the quantities that they are able to 'eat' or 'chew'. Please see our Treated Timber User Guide for more information on the use of TANALISED timber.

I think people over estimate the dangers of modern treatments.

Is TANALISED timber safe to use in children's playgrounds?
TANALISED Timber is safe to use for structures in and around children's play areas. With regard to any concerns that the children may 'chew' or 'eat' the treated timber, we have to conduct safety studies to demonstrate safe use of our products as part of their approval process. These studies have shown that the preservative within the timber would not cause harm to a child in the quantities that they are able to 'eat' or 'chew'. Please see our Treated Timber User Guide for more information on the use of TANALISED timber.

Hmmmm, written by the Tanalised Timber Treatment Company.

Just made a monkey bars and a swing for my kids.
Used treated 150 by 45 joists and 95 by 45 studwork timber all came eased and pretty smooth really, the bars are actually metal handrail though.
Jewsons delivered it for no charge. You can get 38 by 63 cls which might be better size.
No one has a splinter yet (except me when I was buiding it) .

Ollie

Henshaw timber in Shipley will do you 4x1 rounded edge treated timber.

They make picket fences treated in 4x1 £15 per 3x6' length

Cheers James

Hey guys,

I'm struggling to find a supplier of 4x1 or 3x1 thats been treated, but also is smooth to the touch.

I need it to make the barriers for the top platforms of a climbing frame, simple vertical slatted fences so the kids won't fall from the platforms.

It seems all the Xx1 timber is rough sawn, whereas Xx2 is "easi-edge" (smooth to the touch so the kids won't get splinters).

I'm in Bolton, but I have a van and can travel, so if anyone knows of a supplier in the North West, that'd be great.

Or is there an alternative anyone would recommend as a fence?

Thank you!
CLS (Canadian Lumber Standard, I think) timber is usually pretty smooth with rounded arrises (I think it's part of the CLS spec). Two options include: find a supplier that has their own tanalith treatment vessel (I use one in Chichester) they can treat whatever you want with it; cut pressure treated timber to size yourself and paint on your own preservative - you'll need to paint it on to cut ends of pressure treated anyway. The third option is to design things so no timber is nearer than six inches to the ground - that's where rot happens quickest and with worst effect.

I had a similar dilemma recently whilst in a rush and ended up ripping treated C16 '3x2' yielding 70x23mm. It was easy enough to rounded over the cut edges if needed but actually better in most cases if I didn't. This did did leave an untreated face but I was retreating the project anyway.

4 x 1 treated timber with rounded edges... Sounds like ordinary decking boards to me. OK it would have textured /reeded faces - but would that be a problem in this application.

Hmmmm, written by the Tanalised Timber Treatment Company.
Well generally the supplier would be the first place to ask about their chemicals. It's not like the Conservative party as the rules and regs ARE enforced for COSHH violations.

Back