Plane Tree

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter45@

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have the opportunity to buy a thick plank of wood from a plane tree, well seasoned. Has anyone turned plane? Is it a good turning wood?

I’ve turned what they called London Plane for a pen and it was spalted too. It wasn’t difficult as I recall. Search the forum and you should be able to find it if you like. I’m not at home and it’s a pain to do on a phone.
Pete

The type of plane that we tend to get in the UK is, as was said, called London Plane, due to the fact that a lot of it was planted in the 19th C in London streets recognising the fact that it tends to shed its bark and would tolerate the foul smoke-polluted air in the city at the time...... that's the story, anyway.

London Plane wood that actually comes from London (and is of a certain vintage) is often refused by sawmills due to the risk of bits of embedded shrapnel from the war. It's common to find bits of shredded metal in it that will wreck saw blades, often tiny splinters too small to register reliably on metal detectors

Does it turn? In my experience, yes. It makes very good bowls.

Have a look at the grain direction on the ends of the boards. If you can obtain Plane wood that is quarter-sawn, i.e. that is cut radially to the centre of the trunk, when you cut it or turn on a lathe it will have some attractive interlocked medullary rays when you turn it on a lathe and is amongst the woods that are called 'Lacewood' because of this pattern. Other exotic trees have a similar appearance, too.

Last edited:
Thanks to all. In fact I live in France, so this slab may not be identical to London plane.

I've turned London Plane, green from a log, I found it very similar to Sycamore. I'd do it again if I had the chance.

Thanks to all. In fact I live in France, so this slab may not be identical to London plane.

Hi Peter, I used to live in France, down near the Canal du Midi and Carcassonne and as you probably know there are/were quite a lot of platan (French plane) down there along the canal. Not now though thanks, apparently, to the tree surgeons who bought the canker down from the North?

Bowl platan spalted-01.JPG

This was from along the canal, but it was before the problems so not infected. Pale wood and not really hard, it takes a good finish from sharp tools.

Spalted platan bowl.jpg

It pyrographs quite well too

Spalted platan bowl pyro'd.jpg

So, in my experience it is fine for turning.

What area are you in?

Attachments

• Bowl platan spalted-02.JPG
    Bowl platan spalted-02.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 0
London plane is often known as 'lacewood' for fairly obvious reasons. It's close grained and turns nicely, rather like sycamore, (which is rather bland if not textured, pierced or decorated in some way). I've attached some pics of a square rimmed bowl I turned in London plane. Also - when the moods takes me, I occasionally use 55mm cubes to turn a 'cube within a cube within a cube' but I have to be in the mood for that as it's more akin to precision engineering than woodturning!

Attachments

• London plane 6inch x 3inch bowl blank.jpg
    London plane 6inch x 3inch bowl blank.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 15
  • London plane bowl1.jpg
    London plane bowl1.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 15
  • London plane bowl2.jpg
    London plane bowl2.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 15
  • London Plane bowl3.jpg
    London Plane bowl3.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 15
  • London plane bowl4.jpg
    London plane bowl4.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Cube in London Plane.jpg
    Cube in London Plane.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 18
I occasionally use 55mm cubes to turn a 'cube within a cube within a cube' but I have to be in the mood for that as it's more akin to precision engineering than woodturning!
I think that another set of pictures, which show how you go about turning the cubes are in order.
I'm most impressed by your square rim with the droop. If I tried that I'm sure a snag would chip the corners.

Hi Peter, I used to live in France, down near the Canal du Midi and Carcassonne and as you probably know there are/were quite a lot of platan (French plane) down there along the canal. Not now though thanks, apparently, to the tree surgeons who bought the canker down from the North?

View attachment 111742

This was from along the canal, but it was before the problems so not infected. Pale wood and not really hard, it takes a good finish from sharp tools.

View attachment 111743

It pyrographs quite well too

View attachment 111744

So, in my experience it is fine for turning.

What area are you in?
Hi, nice bowls. We are in the Lot et Garonne, halfway between Bergerac and Agen. Lovely bit of the world.

Iirc needs to be quarter sawn for the lace figure to be clear (and then is sometimes referred to as lacewood)

I think that another set of pictures, which show how you go about turning the cubes are in order.
I'm most impressed by your square rim with the droop. If I tried that I'm sure a snag would chip the corners.

As to the square rim of the bowl, I find that if I turn outwards from the rim of the bowl to the edge of the square taking gentle cuts, I don't chip the corners off. However, as the 'wings' become thinner and thinner, all you see is a 'ghost' so you need to be very careful of keeping fingers out of the way of the revolving corners.

As to turning the cubes, I've attached a few pics and a sketch that might help understand how they are turned..

When one side of the blank cube has been hollowed out as shown in the diagram, a stepped plug has to be turned and fitted (five of which are needed), to support the two inner cubes so that as the turning progresses, the inner cubes don't break free. A high degree of accuracy is required or the two inner cubes will be turned and drilled off-centre. If care is taken, when the turning is completed and all of the plugs are removed, each corner of the two inner cubes will be 'hanging on by a thread' and can be gently pulled free. That leaves the inner eight corners of the large cube with little internal 'pyramids' for want of a better word, which can be cleaned up with a Dremel drill and burr.

No fancy tools or equipment is called for. Two small 'tables' which fit in the toolpost of the lathe need to be made - one to support the cube while accurately sanding it square on all six sides to the correct dimensions - the other to support the turning tools held horizontally on the table while hollowing. A wooden chuck needs to be made, and two old chisels ground to shape for the two turning tools. One chisel is a 'hook tool' to undercut the cubes internally - the other a 'square end' tool to turn the larger hole and to clean the surface of the inner two cubes. The sanding disc is attached to the wooden plywood disc with Velcro and the wooden disc held on a chuck with internal dovetail jaws. The wooden chuck for the cube blank is held on external dovetail jaws.

The technique featured in Woodturning Magazine (issue 127) many years ago by Dave Springett, who is quite an expert on such things, and has written a book entitled 'Woodturning Wizardry' which can often be found quite cheaply second-hand. All rather too advanced for my somewhat limited skills!

Woodturning Wizardry by David Springett - AbeBooks

I hope the pics and sketch give some idea of what's involved. Like so many things in life, the only time I've ever felt like doing it twice is just before I've done it once! I guess I've made a dozen or so over the years as conversation pieces for friends. It takes me about a day to make one.

David.

Attachments

• Cube chuck.jpg
    Cube chuck.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Cube sanding.jpg
    Cube sanding.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Cube tools_edited-1.jpg
    Cube tools_edited-1.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Dovetail chuck.jpg