Plane storage/racks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank D.

Established Member
Reaction score
A discussion about plane racks was started in another thread so I decided to be a good boy and post a new topic. I'm always interested in seeing other people's plane storage solutions.
My own racks are just shelves, so I thought I'd post a cabinet-style rack that a friend of mine made. The text is in French but the pics are pretty self-explaining.

http://www.lamortaise.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2958

I just use the drawers (mainly) in my bench. Lined with heavy felt.

110_1040.jpg

There are 3 drawers in the cabinet. Those not kept in one of the three drawers are either kept in original boxes (e.g., #55) or a cupboard (pattern planes) or with blade retracted like my #8--which doesn't fit in any of the other mentioned places.

Mike

I posted this in the other thread, but here it is again . . .

The chisel rack was completed this evening.

plane_rack.jpg

Here's mine.

planes.jpg

Next time I will make the drawers taller so that I can stand them up.

Andy

I mounted them at an angle, but due to rather bad planning (or should I say bad planing :roll: ) the short planes fall out :oops:
So I added rare earth magnets under all the planes, top n bottom, to hold them in.

100_1822.JPG

This is based on the Beckfoorts tool cabinet featured in Fine Woodworking some time ago.

Made from 'sycamore, tiger maple and ebony, with hand cut mitred though dovetails, and hand made drawers.

I like Philly thought a full cabinet would stop me buying more planes, but to no avail. I even won one recently!

Here are some other photos:
http://croeso.typepad.com/photos/furniture_making_pearwood/index.html

I'm considering selling my surplus on ebay, so I'll let everyone know if I do that.

Nice setup Kurt, especially the cleat system and a great collection of tools. Welcome to the site.

Rgds

Noel

Lovely work Kurt, and welcome to the forum.

Errr... I hope you don't have the tendencies of Patricia Cornwell's Loup Garou :shock: [-o< .

Gill

Wow, Andy and Kurt - yours are Nice! And the rest make mine look quite tatty, which of course they are. I have put minimal time into storage construction, more into storage design, and quite a bit into storage plans (don't we all!). Time available is prioritised for completing (furniture) projects for the family.

This may (hopefully will) change in the near future after the alterations are completed at home (I am building consulting rooms above my garage). I'd like to do something Nice as well. Also, the picture (below) is at least 2 years old and I have acquired a few (OK a lot) more friends. I am of the opinion that the younger members' hormones run riot at night, and they breed and breed (we are talking about tools here, aren't we?). So I now need more storage space. Again.

Here is one of the storage units.

http://www.wdynamic.com/galoots/4images/details.php?image_id=1155

I am still trying to find a concept for storing planes with fences and fence rods, such as #043, #044, #45, #46, etc along with all their peripherals. What do you do with these?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Wow,
Some wonderful storage solutions you guys have. Kurt, those cleats are just what I was looking for (I've seen similar ones but I like the design of yours). I'm getting tired of my drawers-transformed-into shleving-units and hope to make a small wall cabinet this winter. Thanks for the inspiration.

Frank D.":3eb10kl3 said:
Wow,
Kurt, those cleats are just what I was looking for (I've seen similar ones but I like the design of yours).

Thanks Frank. With the slight angle of the back, the planes will stay in place without the cleats, but I don't trust them to not take a dive if the shop door is slammed shut.

Kurt

Gill":zcplufqt said:
Lovely work Kurt, and welcome to the forum.

Errr... I hope you don't have the tendencies of Patricia Cornwell's Loup Garou :shock: [-o< .

Gill

Gill,

In Louisiana, the Loup Garou is the werewolf of Cajun folklore. I think he is mostly into mischieft.

Kurt

ydb1md":3rbl2glq said:
I am still trying to find a concept for storing planes with fences and fence rods, such as #043, #044, #45, #46, etc along with all their peripherals. What do you do with these?

Tie them to the end of an anchor chain? :lol: :wink:

Nah.. All the best ones I have seen are stored in tatty cardboard boxes in the boot of a car at auctions like David Stanley's and Tony Murland's. Based on statistics this is clearly the preferred method of keeping them - since hardly anyone buys them :wink:

This is my very first ever post on this board. I have lurked for quite some time and have always been impressed by the civility and good spirits displayed here. Enough of that.

I have read this particular thread through and was wondering for those who use drawers for their planes etc. does that work or not. The reason I ask is I am in the process of building my new shop, that is in a garage built in 1938. My intention was to build a counter along one wall behind my workbench, with drawers getting higher as you go down, ie the top drawer to be say three inches, the bottom, maybe six or seven, as in a Shaker design.

One reason being, I would have all my tools behind me in the drawers whenever I need them, (I plan on quite a few drawers), and the counter top would be good for sharpening etc. Also the counter could support my bench model drill press, one of the very few electron burning tools I have.

I always found that wall space was at a premium in my old shop before I moved, of course I had to share that one with garden tools and bikes etc.

The reason it is taking me so long to get the shop set up is a) a bit short of the ready as it were, b) everytime I get going on it, some kindly indivdual comes up with something they need built, asap.

The reason for so many drawers is, well I like building drawers, and such and the practise is invaluable.

Hi Mittlefehldt, and welcome!

You've discovered a truly (nearly always) civil place. But enough of the gushing...

I am one who has my planes in drawers for the most part and can be seen here.

The drawers are lined (on the bottoms) with a very thick felt. That way I don't need to retract blades. My shop is small, wall space at a premium. I do have need to keep several planes out of the drawers due to space. Those are in a cabinet above the bench (where the drawers for main storage are) or on shelves in my main wall-mounted tool cabinet, and even on a shelf or two. Those planes outside the bench's drawers are one I use less frequent.

If I ever grow up and get a big-boy shop again, I will, like you describe, build a cabinet behind my bench with drawers to store the planes. I'll use the felt again. But I would not put storage in my bench again. Too inflexible for clamping, work stop devices, etc. At least how it was built.

Mike

Latest posts

Back