Plane storage/racks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome Mittlefehldt,

I think drawers are generally to be preferred over most other methods of storage in the workshop for darn nearly everything. My main reason for thinking this is their efficient space utilisation and if like me you are spatially challenged this is a real plus. Another important reason for me is they keep stuff much cleaner than other storage methods.

I think shelves are the worst possible storage for the woodshop and wall hung stuff comes somewhere in the middle. Of course, like most folk I have examples of all three but when and where I can choose drawers, I mostly do so.

They work very well for planes. I don't favour any kind of in-drawer fitting for planes as this inevitably limits flexibility and when you buy that special new plane you can easily make room for it by removing something less attractive. I use a rubberised mat in the bottom of drawers I store planes in (it's actually one of those mesh type mats use for routing stuff on the benchtop). This cushions the planes and stops them slipping around when I open and close the drawer so they can be placed very close to each other without a lot of clashing and banging as a result.

Thanks for the welcome, and drawers it is, that would have been my first choice anyway, as I hope it helps to keep rust at bay, if nothing else, though I think it is a better way to organize stuff as well. I used pegboard in my old shop and hung stuff up but found that to be somewhat less than satisfactory.

What about the weight what would be the maximum width of the drawers as I am planning to have them around thirty inches wide so I can keep panel saws and such in them?

Whenever I figure out how to post pictures I will try and post some shots of the shop as it is now.

Mittlefehldt":17d3rq9a said:
What about the weight what would be the maximum width of the drawers as I am planning to have them around thirty inches wide so I can keep panel saws and such in them?
Those in my bench are 26" wide and 22" deep. 100# rated slides. The bottom drawer probably has the most weight in it.

We do have a cabinet in a hall closet my wife uses to store wood for turning in that has 32" wide drawers (28" deep and the tallest is a 9") and are stuffed full and probably weigh much more than a drawer of planes. Again, 100# slides and no problems.

Hope that helps.

MikeW":37dm3zr6 said:
Mittlefehldt":37dm3zr6 said:
Those in my bench are 26" wide and 22" deep. 100# rated slides. The bottom drawer probably has the most weight in it.

We do have a cabinet in a hall closet my wife uses to store wood for turning in that has 32" wide drawers (28" deep and the tallest is a 9") and are stuffed full and probably weigh much more than a drawer of planes. Again, 100# slides and no problems.

Hope that helps.

YEs that does, mine will only be about sixteen inches deep so I should be fine then, thanks for the help.

Back