Plane set up for shooting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I am thinking of buying a new plane for both general work and to use with a shooting board. I can see from recent posts that a low angle jack with maybe a couple of blades with different angles might be the way to go.

It seems too that most people recommend a good quality plane, with the sides as near to 90 degrees as possible, preferably spot on.

But can the lateral blade adjustment not be used to compensate for small deviations from 90 degrees? The other side of the coin would be that unless the lateral adjustment is spot on, even a plane with sides at a perfect 90 degrees won't give good results.

Or am I missing something? (It wouldn't be the first time!)

Thanks in advance
Steve

Steve,

Yes, yes, yes, yes and no. But why is this so? Possibly 'cos learning how to get consistant results by getting the blade to take an even, full width cut is easier than working out how far to nudge the lateral adjustment to compensate for a wonky plane. But I dunno really, never given it much thought to my shame. :oops: Sometimes you just go with the received wisdom 'cos it works. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Wow,

Just how fast can an answer be?

Thanks Alf. I'll go with the flow.......

Steve

Steve

Yes

I would say that it is much easier to sight a blade parallel to the base of a plane who's sides are 90 degrees than to find the required offset for one that isn't. This is why I bought a LN low angle jack for about £130 as my shooting plane

Also, if a company cannot even get the sides ground at 90 degrees, what chance is there that the side is out by the same amount along the full length?

Tony,

Point taken. I think you are right, it's easier to work with a plane that's known to be square along its length than try to compensate for one that isn't, or even worse, one where the angle varies. (Hadn't thought of that).

LN here I come!

Thanks
Steve

SJB":30luqorp said:
LN here I come!
Nnnng. :shock: Erm... can I respectfully point you in the direction of the Lee Valley Veritas low angle jack and point out its design details particularly included with shooting in mind, not to mention the extra width, weight and (probably, when they get around to telling us) lower price? Huh? Can I?

Okay, I've done that now. :D

Cheers, Alf

Who doesn't get commission - cross my heart.

Alf":3di3dehg said:
SJB":3di3dehg said:
LN here I come!
Nnnng. :shock: Erm... can I respectfully point you in the direction of the Lee Valley Veritas low angle jack and point out its design details particularly included with shooting in mind, not to mention the extra width, weight and (probably, when they get around to telling us) lower price? Huh? Can I?

Okay, I've done that now. :D

Cheers, Alf

Who doesn't get commission - cross my heart.

But it's not as pretty as the LN :wink:

pipper, there goes my discount on the large shoulder plane :evil:

Midnight":1slw3uo2 said:
ummmmmm........... what's (if indeed anthing) wrong with the #9..???
Well as far as I'm concerned I can think of 262.89 things going against it. :roll: :cry:

Cheers, Alf

Well as far as I'm concerned I can think of 262.89 things going against it.

mmmhmmmmmmmm.... valid point....

but then..... with tools THIS good... some thngs ARE worth paying for...

watching this thing take 24" long whisper thin end grain shavings.... no chatter, no fuss was ummmmm..... impressive...

Cor, I don't know how some people have the cheek, gloating over their expensive tools :lol: :lol: :lol:
A Definitely Busted Philly :D

gloating..???

who......?? where...????... MEEEEE....???? naaaaaaaaaaaa.. gloating woulda been saying it did that straight outa the box; set-up time was less than 10 secs....

joking aside, a #9's well worth considering.... if only for the fact that it's designed to do the job. Perfectly square HUGE sides, low angle blade with a fine adjuster and I do mean fine, adjustable mouth for ultra fine shavings. Then there's it's strengths... a truly massive blade, all that mass guarantees it's gonna plough through anything as if it were tissue paper, and having skin on yer knuckles when the job's done.... priceless..
Did I mention the lack of rust too..?? No need to flatten, nor deburr, nor fettle in any way... hell, I didn't even need to order the thing... beat that for convenience...
ummmm... maybe that's a lil too close to a gloat for comfort.. I'll shaddup n head t bed now..

joking aside, a Veritas low angle jack is well worth considering.... if only for the fact that it's designed to do the job. Perfectly square HUGEish sides, low angle blade with a fine adjuster and I do mean fine, adjustable mouth for ultra fine shavings. Then there's it's strengths... a truly massive blade, all that mass guarantees it's gonna plough through anything as if it were tissue paper, and having skin on yer knuckles when the job's done.... priceless..
Did I mention the lack of rust too..?? No need to flatten, nor deburr, nor fettle in any way... hell, I didn't even need to order the thing... beat that for convenience...
Then there's the precise lateral adjustment, the comfortable grip on the lever cap and milled depression on the sides for your thumb... and all for less money, if you have to buy it all... Plus you can use it as a panel plane, the higher angle blade for difficult woods...
ummmm... maybe that's a lil too close to a gloat for comfort.. I'll shaddup n head t bed now..

Apologies, Mike. I couldn'a resist. :D

Cheers, Alf

Errrm. Errrr. Right. Yes. Well.

Thanks all for the advice and comments.

Midnight - a low angle jack looks favourite I'm afraid, I do want to use it for more than just shooting.

Alf - thanks for the reminder. Your excellent plane reviews aren't lost on me, I have been paying attention! It's just a question of price and availability, neither of which I've investigated yet with Brimarc.

Tony, I always think that looks in a low angle jack plane are secondary, it's personality that counts.

No doubt when I have the full facts to hand I'll make an informed choice.
Eeny Meeny, Miny, Mo.......

Midnight":2crx4d8p said:
watching this thing take 24" long whisper thin end grain shavings....

Now that sounds like the basis for the next competition.

Andy

Latest posts

Back