Plane set up for shooting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SJB":1t9rbn5t said:
Tony, I always think that looks in a low angle jack plane are secondary, it's personality that counts.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Couldn't agree more. My LN low angle smoother is a great conversationalist, loving, and understands when to give me my space when I need it :wink:

Tony":13thv081 said:
SJB":13thv081 said:
Tony, I always think that looks in a low angle jack plane are secondary, it's personality that counts.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Couldn't agree more. My LN low angle smoother is a great conversationalist, loving, and understands when to give me my space when I need it :wink:
Yeah, they all say that until the poor plane lets the first bit of rust show, and then it's on to the newer model... :roll: :lol:

Incidentally, "great conversationalist"?! The mind boggles, Tony, it really does...

My apiologies... it was late, I was tired, meds kickin in yadda yadda...

I neglected to mention...

two handed grip on the ummmm handles?? granted, there's no grub screws but then I've yet to see a finished edge that wasn't exactly square, no "near enough is good enough" with this tool..... having two handles lets you deliver so much power into the stroke that shooting wide panels is a breeze... the last thing this plane needs is a remedy for depression...precision milled or otherwise...

I guess that if you really wanted to there's nothing to stop you using it as a bench plane, but then, my instinct is to reach for my #62 for bench work...
As for the price.. with the amount of bronze in this thing, trust me, yer nae gettin ripped off here; like every other L-N tool I've had hands on experience with, this tool oozes accuracy, quality and longevity...
I'll readily recognize that that may not be to everyone's taste... but it suits mine...

Hi All,
Isn't it nice to read comments about tools like this-as opposed to "it was a good price but it's rubbish".......
Nice one to L-N for producing a gem of a tool!
By the way, I am more than happy using my Clifton No.5 for shooting edges-it works superbly, also producing huge end grain shavings.......
regards
Philly :D

Midnight You wouln't be Tony in disguise would you ??

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

naaaaaaa.... he's the guy with the queer accent ;)

besides. his jigs are way fancier than mine...

mind you.. I got the feelin that he'll be catchin up on my count of L-N's before too long... :shock:

<hushed.>.. he's a few to get before he manages that though... :wink:

By the way, I am more than happy using my Clifton No.5 for shooting edges-it works superbly, also producing huge end grain shavings.......

Glad to hear it Philly.... it's all too easy to get sucked into a tail spin over which tool is "better" than some other.. that's not the point. Bottom line when all's said an done is.... all that matters is what you can do WITH the tools...

Philly":2a4u4vsh said:
regards
Philly :D

Absolutely agree. I've been using my clifton 5 for the last 6 months or so and the Stanley number 5 for a few years of shooting before that.
In the end I couldn't resist the lure of a low angle shooter theough. It does out perform the others I've tried for this task - the others did a fine job though

Oh, and I hadn't bought as LN for ages :lol:

Cheers

Tony, err Mike, no it's definitely Tony (or Mike)

SJB's 'physics analysis' is correct though... Lee Valley's instructions for their 'jointing fence' make this specific point, stating that the relationship that matters is the angle between the fence and blade, not between fence and plane body. That siad, I hate 'bent sides', because I always remember them whe nI pick the plane up, and start to doubt its performance.

Back