plane no.s to fit large hands

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewBaker

Reaction score
I have ordered an old record 4 1/2 plane, but I need another plane for guitar making

being 6'3" I am worried that a smaller no.4 will be too small for my hands

do you think I should be ok to order a no.4?

thanks

andy

Yes.

Plenty of woodworkers have large hands - but toolmakers have never offered large or small size handles as an option, as far as I know.

If you can't get all four fingers round the handle, just use three fingers and leave the forefinger pointing in the direction of travel!

You may struggle with your grip on a #03 - depending on your hand size - , but should be fine using a #04 unless you wrap all four fingers around the rear handle, instead of adopting the usual saw handle grip (Three fingers and thumb on handle with fore finger pointed forward). I'm 6'2.5" and have no trouble. :)

Not knowing how experienced you are, it's difficult to comment, but I assume you know that the index finger usually stays out of the grip, a No.4 is probably fine. A No. 4 is not the most logical follow up to a No 4 1/2 though - a 5 1/2, a 6, or even possibly a 3 if you wish to go smaller would give a little more scope.

AndrewBaker":hwoajhah said:
I have ordered an old record 4 1/2 plane, but I need another plane for guitar making

being 6'3" I am worried that a smaller no.4 will be too small for my hands

do you think I should be ok to order a no.4?

thanks

andy

I posted this a while back in response to a similar question (I'm just over 6 foot, BTW).

bugbear":hwoajhah said:
I took some snaps this morning, showing a bailey #4 and #5, held in a 3 and 4 fingered grip.

bailey_4_hold.jpg

bailey_5_hold.jpg

In case the OP has larger hands than me, I took this check shot:

hand_hold.jpg

Only in the case of a four fingered grip (which I never use) on the #4 did my index finger foul, and then on the rear of the frog not the adjuster.

BugBear

Andy , your post got me to thinking... always dangerous , that. I never really considered my grip on some of the smaller planes. Most of my lot are 4's and up as most of what I plane are longer lengths of stock , so why not go big? So I went to check what grip I use on my wee little number 3's. At 6 foot 3 and about 260 pounds I am no shrinking violet and my 4 fingers fit adequately on the tote of a handyman number 3 (least roomy of several) so a 4 should pose you no problem. That said, the 3 fingers and a pointer just feels better on that tote. Cute little things though , perhaps I should give them more playing time.

I'm 6' 1" and too many pounds of fighting fat; small children could sit in my open mitts.....got 2x4's and 2x4½'s....no problem with grips on any of them. The only plane that gives me gyp is my Dad's Record 44; the pattern mould was obviously created by a Japanese P.o.W.? That said, Just like David C. and others, I prefer the 5.5 (and particularly T5) for most bench work, simply because of their gravitas or 'heft'.

Sam, wishing there was a painless plane for blubber....

3, 4, 5, generally have the same handle and it isn't smaller than the 5 1/2, just a shorter foot without a screw. I've got biggish hands but it's never been a problem - with woodwork tools at least.

Jacob":1wa3aso6 said:
3, 4, 5, generally have the same handle and it isn't smaller than the 5 1/2...
The 3, 4 & 5¼ share the same size tote. The 5 shares the same size tote as the 4½, T5, 5½, 6, 7 & 8. (just a small inaccuracy... (hammer) )

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":zrz1er1n said:
Jacob":zrz1er1n said:
The 3, 4 & 5¼ share the same size tote. The 5 shares the same size tote as the 4½, T5, 5½, 6, 7 & 8.
Oh yes so they are. Roughly same size throughout though, except for the shorter foot below 5
(just a small inaccuracy... (hammer) )

Cheers, Vann.
Well spotted Watson 10 out of 10. :roll:

Vann":39eafykp said:
Jacob":39eafykp said:
The 3, 4 & 5¼ share the same size tote. The 5 shares the same size tote as the 4½, T5, 5½, 6, 7 & 8. (just a small inaccuracy... (hammer) )

Cheers, Vann.

In theory the actual totes themselves are around the same size, as Vann notes.

In practice, the ease of holding the plane is greatly effected by the amount of space in front of the tote; this is quite obvious in the photographs of the #4 and #5 earlier in the thread. The longer planes give more room, which is easier when you have very large hands.

With reference to the OP's question, the #4 1/2 is a good deal lomger than the #4, and does indeed give more room around the tote.

However, woodworkers do vary in size, and there are some big 'uns around, and I have rarely heard anyone say that they they have actual difficulty with the ubiquotous #4 (*), so I'd advise simple going for it.

Failing which, #4's are very common - is there no way you can get to one "In the flesh" and see how it feels?

BugBear

(*) the only major difficulty was when someone converted a #4 for scrubbing, which is VERY vigorous, and found the handle inadequate for that particular use.

Back