Plane newby question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecoder

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all

Can anyone tell me what the numbers relate to when we talk about planes,i.e stanley number 4 etc etc,and also whilst im asking daft questions :oops: is there a particular plane that is lets say an all rounder,jack of all trades etc,no pun intended. :lol:

thecoder":375jb0sc said:
is there a particular plane that is lets say an all rounder,jack of all trades etc,no pun intended. :lol:

I was under the impression that that was precisely why the "jack plane" was named as such...!

JakeS":2b4y51ic said:
thecoder":2b4y51ic said:
is there a particular plane that is lets say an all rounder,jack of all trades etc,no pun intended. :lol:

I was under the impression that that was precisely why the "jack plane" was named as such...!

well I never ..... :oops:

"Jack" usually considered to be 5 1/2 but it's not compulsory.
And the numbers are just progressive from small to large, with half numbers as later in between models.
NB nobody needs a whole set!

I think someone....I don't remember who...once said a very wise thing.

The use of the plane is purely relative to the work the user puts it to.

To a small box maker...a "block plane" is a jointer.

In general woodwork though...the planes run from the tiny "luthiere" brass thumb planes to huge jointers that are held still...the work being run over them.

To most...the "jack" appears to fall about the No. 5 range with small jointers starting at No.6 and large smoothers starting at No.4 1/2 (in Bailey parlance)

I like the terms...block...smoother....panel...jointer in rising size myself...from the infill/woody terms.

My favourite "jack" is a No.5 1/2 Bailey (a Record)....although I use the infill panel and awful lot.

My favourite jointer is a No.7 SS Record and my favourite blocks vary from my little infill chariot to my No.60 1/2

Jim

N.B. nobody needs them all but there isn't a law that prevents anyone having ten of each if they wish. Tool collecting is a perfectly acceptable hobby...although of course...none of us would admit to being one.

JakeS":1t9chwwr said:
thecoder":1t9chwwr said:

:deer :deer :deer :deer :deer Your totally wrong, the term comes from the navy, the "jack" was the flag staff at the bow of the ship. The Union Flag was flown there in port, becoming the " Union Jack" A jack plane must have therefore been used to make these flag staffs. (hammer) :p :ho2 :deer :deer :deer :deer :deer

Dangermouse":i8ep3n0o said:
JakeS":i8ep3n0o said:
thecoder":i8ep3n0o said:

:deer :deer :deer :deer :deer Your totally wrong, the term comes from the navy, the "jack" was the flag staff at the bow of the ship. The Union Flag was flown there in port, becoming the " Union Jack" A jack plane must have therefore been used to make these flag staffs. (hammer) :p :ho2 :deer :deer :deer :deer :deer

Sorry DM but you are wrong I'm afraid.

The "JACK" plane was named after John (Jack) Thomas....

The original was made of pine with a mult-bevelled iron and the very best ones have blue plastic handles

:ho2 :ho2 :ho2

:deer

Rudolf

xxx

It has struck me as odd before that Stanley has included from very early on, the #4 and #5 - both having an iron of (barely) 2". Infills are never that narrow and a 2" woody is very rare in my experience - they're usually 2 - 1/8".
Yet who doesn't have a #4 and 5 of either Stanley or Record?? They surely must be the most popular planes ever? But then Jim and Pete say they use the 5 -1/2 more as a Jack (and Jim his infill panel). Heavier and wider; yet Stanley in calling them "and a half" would appear to have added them as an afterthought.

As far as I know, no one has made an infill plane of Jack length with a mere 2" iron and a slightly wider mouth. So I am trying it. I told Bill Carter of this plan to which he said the immortal words: "Your'e not, are you?" Well, I'm making a more usual 2 - 1/4" too, so we shall see ...

Back