Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Plane iron bevel angles.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

garywayne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have been searching the web for plane iron grinding and honing angles for the use on hardwoods, and softwoods. Can anyone oblige?

I do remember reading somewhere, can't for the life of me think where :oops: , that different angles are used on hardwoods, and softwoods.

I also tried searching the forum. I must be using the wrong words. :-k

Thanks.

ATB Gary.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
25° grinding and 30° honing are a good rule of thumb, but on bevel down plane irons it depends on the individual's sharpening regime really. Chisels are where it matters depending on use. 20° for paring, 25°-30° for general stuff and chopping and 30°-35° for heavy chopping such as mortising. But that's just a guide and can depend on the wood, the chisel, your technique and so forth.

Cheers, Alf

garywayne

Established Member
Reaction score
Cheers Alf.

I've got bevel down with a cambered edge. Will 25 grind, and 30 honed edge be alright on hardwood as well as softwood?

ATB Gary.

Scott

Established Member
Reaction score
Should be OK for starters Gary. With bevel down you're only tuning the edge for strength/longevity rather than angle of attack (which is determined by the frog). Depending on the hardwood you might need a slight back bevel if it's tearing out.

garywayne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Scott.

I am currently using the D.C. method :shock: which is 35deg, (as you all probably know).

As I am using pine at the mo. I thought that I would lessen the angle on my latest plane, still using the cambered blade.

I must have been wrong about the different angles for plane iron bevels for hard/w & soft/w.

ATB Gary.