Plane Iron Availability

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GazPal

Established Member
Reaction score
Hellooooo,

My son recently picked up a couple of Stanley's newer Sweetheart bench planes and I'd like to buy him a couple of spare irons for them as part of his xmas box. The planes in question are Stanley's Premium Bench Plane #4 and their newer #62 jack plane and I'm stumped (In spite of lots of searching) regarding where to pick up spare irons for these two planes.

Any information or help would be greatly appreciated folks :)

GazPal":bhp7i10t said:
Many thanks for your suggestion Roger :)

You might need to check the #62 blade for size and adjuster engagement holes/lugs compatibility.

Whilst #4 planes are pretty standardised, #62's are less so.

BugBear

Thank you BB. :)

Both blades are idiotically specific to each hand plane in terms of blade slot width. The #62 being 50mm wide x 110mm long and the #4 @51mm wide x 130mm long. The slot width is 7.39mm in both cases.

I've simply been checking for Stanley replacement irons due to the specifics in question, but sense Stanley may have ceased production and my son is left with two planes and no hope of picking up spare irons now or later.

Does anyone know if Veritas or Quangsheng replacement irons would fit? I'll fire off a few emails, but hope this may be a quicker route to gathering accurate information.

As above check with Matthew at WH as he also stocks Ray Iles plane blades which are specifically for some of the older Stanley range of planes.

SurreyHills":xwxxzsif said:
As above check with Matthew at WH as he also stocks Ray Iles plane blades which are specifically for some of the older Stanley range of planes.

Thank you Andy. :) I had contacted Matthew and would like to publicly thank him for graciously pointing us in the direction of a good resource where we immediately ordered the new plane irons. Unfortunately Stanley's new Premium Sweetheart #4 Bench Plane and #62 Jack Plane have irons specific to their particular design and Quangsheng irons wouldn't fit, otherwise I would have snapped up a set of spare irons for my son from Matthew.

Without hesitation I definitely recommend Matthew's services and will be purchasing a few items from his company in the coming new year. :)

Back