Plane information

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aldel

Established Member
Reaction score
I am hoping that some of you plane experts can shed some information on some of the 'car-boot sale rescues' that I have.
The first is a Record number 730 which is in good condition. It has a fluted sole, adjustable side fence and uses a heavy duty 'razor' blade mounted at 90 degrees to standard. It clearly has a use for slicing strips off something. Veneer perhaps or scoring plaster/fibre-board?

I also now have three different WS planes, nos 4, 4.5 and 5. also in good condition. They are like Stanleys but seem better made and have very nice brass/bronze? lever caps. The blades are also stamped with a WS logo. WS and Birmingham are cast into the sole plates. I have not as yet found any information about these on the net and only twice seen another WS plane for sale.
Hope that you have some info,

cheers Aldel

Aldel,

Record #730 is indeed a fibreboard plane. Introduced around 1955 I believe, and given the boot in 1970. Blood & Gore gives them a bad press, but there's at least one real woodworker who actually uses one. <gasp>

WS Manufacturing Ltd of Quadrant Works, Sheepcote St, Birmingham. Bought by Steel Nut & Joseph Hampton (AKA Woden) in 1952. Probably the originators of the two-railed rebate plane design and the source for Woden's plane line. Other than that they seem to be rather shrouded in mystery; not even a date for their founding. All of course assuming I haven't forgotten something... but BB will correct me I'm sure.
smile.gif
One day I really must write up what's known about these outfits and put it on my site. Oh Tuit, where art thou?
huh.gif

Cheers, Alf

Thanks Alf, for the incredibly quick response.

The WS planes are pleasant to use and attractive with their Brass lever caps and so I am surprised by the lack of information.

It now seems likely that the Record 730 is a Fibre Board plane, however it is different to the Stanley 193 descriptions to which your links point. I have searched through those links but cannot see any references to the Record. Am I missing the info?

Aldel

Sorry, no reference to Record in that link, just general fibreboard info for the uninitiated. I don't think there's anything about them online. From Leslie Harrison's intro to the catalogue reprint:
730 Fibreboard Plane - Introduced to allow slitting and bevelling of soft insulating board by the use of thin razor-blade type cutters which were provided in cartons of six. Two cutter positions were provided: a vertical position for slitting and a 45deg angled position for bevelling work. It remained in production for about 15 years.
It also has the distinction of holding two of the few Record plane-related patents. #741796 (15th December 1955) and #755582 (22 August 1956).
That's all I know, guv.

Cheers, Alf

Thanks Alf, you sure are a font of all knowledge!

Well, at long last a deep mystery solved. So, since they were only made for a short time, never seen another one listed or described, hold a Record Patent then it must be rare.

I am now just a little concerned, does this plane convert me from a rescuer to a c*ll**t*r?!!

It could be available, all those with a deep secret should pm me.

Thanks Aldel

Back