Plane handles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodPecker

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a Record #4 on ebay which has a cracked/broken handle which may be fixable. My father has a Stanley #4 for which he has a spare handle. Would the Stanley handle fit the Record? Or where can spare handles be gotten?

I have swapped handles between Record and Stanley. The 2 3/8 inch planes usually have larger handles than the 2 inch planes though, and usually have an extra screw in the base. Swap 4 with 4 is OK. The only problem you may have is in the length of the threaded stud. This is a strange thread (Sheffield Plane Thread I think it's called), so you will not easily replace one that is too short, so be prepared to increase the depth of the counterbore at the top. You may get away with unscrewing the stud from the base so there is only a couple of turns engaged, and loctite it. If it's too long, no probs! The Axminster or Crown rosewood handles are nice, but a bit large for a no. 4 IMHO.

Back