Plane handles on eBay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Ive been hunting high and low for the bolts and nuts, havent found them anywhere.

Thanks very much for that though all I really need is a couple of nuts and rods rather than a kit.
Mike

ydb1md":bla9k22q said:
Looking at the plastic totes though makes me shudder and convulse.

:sick:

I did ask the eBay seller and he says his are all wood.

There is one exception to the rule that everything with a plastic handle is rubbish, the record 050c which is surprisingly nice to hold. Unlike the Stanley equivalent which looks like a doggy-do. Stanley 13-050

Jarviser":3sp9tmfs said:
ydb1md":3sp9tmfs said:
Looking at the plastic totes though makes me shudder and convulse.

:sick:

I did ask the eBay seller and he says his are all wood.

There is one exception to the rule that everything with a plastic handle is rubbish, the record 050c which is surprisingly nice to hold. Unlike the Stanley equivalent which looks like a doggy-do. Stanley 13-050

I wish the 050c weren't so expensive, I'd love to pick one up. The shipping to the States is almost as much as the plane. I'd also love a record 043 but they only show up on the UK eBay too.

ydb1md":191x7jst said:
I wish the 050c weren't so expensive, I'd love to pick one up. The shipping to the States is almost as much as the plane. I'd also love a record 043 but they only show up on the UK eBay too.
I did once suggest to eBay that they should charge slightly lower fees, but on the total price including the postage. Some sellers seem to bulk up postage to avoid fees and guarantee income. I have sent plough planes by Royal Mail Airmail in two parts, which can work out much cheaper than one big packet, but you can't always persuade sellers to do that. You are still looking at 40 bucks though.
I had to pay £60 for my mint Record, but that is way under half the price of a new Stanley in the UK.

Jarviser":2nxnqse8 said:

IIRC the Stanley works quite well, although the handle DOES (as you say) look like canine ordure.

BugBear

Jarviser":2c4rf6eb said:
I did once suggest to eBay that they should charge slightly lower fees, but on the total price including the postage. Some sellers seem to bulk up postage to avoid fees and guarantee income. I have sent plough planes by Royal Mail Airmail in two parts, which can work out much cheaper than one big packet, but you can't always persuade sellers to do that. You are still looking at 40 bucks though.
I had to pay £60 for my mint Record, but that is way under half the price of a new Stanley in the UK.

I picked up an 044 on the Bay this weekend. The auction ended at £51 and £16 for postage. A pretty penny but it's in great shape. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6244433363

Dave
When I looked the auction ended at £28 odd NOT £51; I think you are getting your currencies in a muddle. BTW, looks a lovely 044, I use mine and the 043 a lot. I think £28 is a steal for one that nice even with the shipping.
Hope you enjoy it.
Rgards
Martin

Ydb1md, Just out of interest what does the pound symbol £ look like on a US computer? Does it translate as a pound sign or something else? When I worked for a multinational we had to put GBP instead because we always got muddled up in the international emails.

Martin,

You are correct. ](*,) :)

I didn't need the original box etc but it will be nice to have for whomever I leave it to.

Jarviser":1bni6r2s said:
Ydb1md, Just out of interest what does the pound symbol £ look like on a US computer? Does it translate as a pound sign or something else? When I worked for a multinational we had to put GBP instead because we always got muddled up in the international emails.

The pound symbol (I believe) comes through correctly on my computer. I didn't see it on my keyboard so I copied and pasted the symbol from an earlier post.

Jarviser":9v12safp said:
That is a great price for a mint 044. They used to fetch 50+ a year ago, til they all started coming out of the woodshed.

Thanks for helping me feel good about my purchase Jarvis. :)

It was impossible to find one here in the U.S.

Jarviser":2lofejnv said:
When I worked for a multinational we had to put GBP instead because we always got muddled up in the international emails.

That was the days before proper declared character encodings.

BugBear

Back