Plane handle repair jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okeydokey

Established Member
Reaction score
A few years ago I went through a phase of buying derelict planes such as Record Stanley and suchlike, most had broken handles (totes) and after fixing a few made a repair jig.
Didn't take too long ,a bit of trial and error with angles and there it was, afterwards tucked it away in a drawer and today I was asked to repair or make a new handle for someone's Stanley No 4.
Out of the drawer a test positional fix, then epoxy and done. Just thought I would show the jig in case it helps someone else with a broken handle or two - yes it could be prettier but does the job
DSCF5127.JPG
DSCF5128.JPG

.Not too difficult if you just glue them up, stick them back on the plane, tighten slotted bolt. plus 2" clamps to keep the parts aligned.
If bolt won't tighten it may need a washer. An odd size but luckily easy to find - the ring collar thing on a bike inner tube Presta valve is a perfect fit

Last edited:
I like the simplicity and logic.
What do you do when glue gets on the draw bolt and its stuck in the tote?

Phil
You oil the bolt first. Glue won't stick though it may be a tight fit, with or without glue.

Back