Plane Fever its catching!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adidat

I will not buy anymore tools...
Reaction score
now i want to talk to you all about a very serious disease: Plane Fever, the symptoms are uncontrollable gathering (not collecting) of hand planes.

now i am overcome with this illness so i want to show you all some of the warning signs so that you can get help before its to late.

this is my collection of no.4's

P1020426.jpg

in total there is 7 working from left to right we have a Bedrock 604, a GTL no.4, Acorn no.4, Stanley no.4, Record no.4, WS no.4 and a Vaugh and Bushnell 904. the bits to the bedrock are in the shed right now.

P1020427.jpg

P1020428.jpg

there all a bit rusty but im hoping to order some magic corrodip in the next few days,

there is help for those who need it, PM me for my address and i will re-leave you of your planes. :lol:

adidat

thinking about it, maybe im not as sick as i originally thought i only have seven so thats one for each day of the week. so im actually being practical, phew!

adidat

Dante's original draft of his Inferno mentions a special circle of Hell (for some reason it was omitted from the final published version), which is dedicated to collectors of completely knackered No 4 planes. These poor souls are condemned to an eternity of de-rusting, flattening, fettling and general tweaking; and once an old plane has been brought to a satisfactory standard ... Lo ! another such plane somehow arrives under the bench, and the cycle start again. Repent ye, before it is too late!

PS: Dear Doctor : I only have four No. 4's, so far - is this sickness contagious? Can I catch it by posting in the same thread as someone who has the disease?

I'm assuming that you didn't pay a King's ransom for those...and given that you enjoy restoring them and you will be really amazed at the results with Corro Dip....I think that as each one is finished...put it up on FleaBay...good pictures...etc...and then keep the money in the PayPal account and let us know as it builds up....

Then you can afford another Spiers!!

Those are definitely restorable although I tend to go for older Stanleys..they sell better.

Jim

jimi43":1dtv2sc0 said:
I think that as each one is finished...put it up on FleaBay...good pictures...etc...and then keep the money in the PayPal account and let us know as it builds up....

Jim

well thats the plan :---) :---) at least thats what i tell everyone

that lot cost about £105 but the bedrock did account for about 75%

adidat

Wot? Doesn't everybody have a gathering of No.4s?
6 x 4d.jpg
Sorry, I don't have a No.4 size Bedrock, and I had to substitute a Rapier 400 for the GTL. Then (L-R) Acorn No.4, Stanley No.4, Record No.04, WS No.4 and a Vaugh and Bushnell 704.

I feel the disease is catching, but I'm at sixes & sevens over what to do about it...
PC170149.JPG
:mrgreen:

Cheers, Vann.

Attachments

• 6 x 4d.jpg
    6 x 4d.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 1,478
  • PC170149.JPG
    PC170149.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 1,478
Yes Adam , you should be concerned. No number 4's means that you have not got the complete set. Fear not , many people have not got all of the available planes and are thus left in planing limbo. I myself am still short of any plough planes at all. This does not make me a bad person, just one who remains happily married. Chin up , 4's are common in the wild, your time is coming.

lanemaux":1l118ufj said:
....... Fear not , many people have not got all of the available planes and are thus left in planing limbo. I myself am still short of any plough planes at all.....

This could be very harrowing.....

:mrgreen:

Jim

Hi,

I had 4-5 no4 at one point but I sold off the excess and only have 2 now.

I do have 3, 4 1/2's

Pete

Don't worry Chris, nothing wrong with your little selection. They are all different, which is a good thing! You are bound to come across some tricky planing situation where the Bedrock is too hard, the Acorn is too small, the Record is cracked, GTL is just guaranteed to be a right tool, Vaughan and Bushnell have run off together, Stan Lee is reading comic books, and all you are left with is the pun-proof WS! The William Shakespeare of the woodworking world!

i think you all should have a large tumbler of something and go and lye down in a darkend workshop and think about chisels :lol:

woodbutcher (richard)

Hmmm, I am beginning to see the error of my ways.... Time to fire up t'internet auction-a-mabob and see what's out there.
I do have a dodgy 4 1/2 stanley, a 7 stanley and a 5 1/2 LN, along with various woodies and others though, if that makes up for lack of a 4???
(note to self - LN price drop in Axminster for a 7.........)

Cheers,
Adam

p.s. - Jim - sometimes I don't think you take this at all seriously :)

The problem is, just as you finally collect one example of every plane made by LN and Clifton, along comes Matthew to import the Quangshengs. You have to buy those just for comparison! Now that's a 'real' slope! :lol:

Back